Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #11 
OMGemily
Member
 
OMGemily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
If by tank you mean 50+ gallons for the fancies and 75+ gal for the commons and filter you mean something rated for double the aquarium size, then yes the can be easy. But they are a terrible beginner fish because of the size they grow to (10 inches for the fancies and over a foot for the common varieties).
i thought it was just the weird ones that got that big
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #12 
thekoimaiden
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGemily View Post
i thought it was just the weird ones that got that big
Oh gosh no! They all get huge. Big, bold, and beautiful.

I actually did a quick google for "do bettas need heaters" and was pleasantly surprised that the first few pages that came up DID say that bettas need heaters. The information is out there, we just need to encourage people to research.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 03-18-2012 at 10:49 AM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #13 
OMGemily
Member
 
OMGemily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Oh gosh no! They all get huge. Big, bold, and beautiful.

I actually did a quick google for "do bettas need heaters" and was pleasantly surprised that the first few pages that came up DID say that bettas need heaters. The information is out there, we just need to encourage people to research.
well thats my bad haha but now i know :) and every time i post a review about bettas i link to this forum :)
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #14 
thekoimaiden
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia, USA
Oh no worries. Most people don't know. But knowledge is power! (I think that was a kid's show slogan a long time ago lol).

You know what I have thought about doing? Putting a bunch of basic betta info (as well as a reference to our site) on a small piece of paper (like business card size), printing a whole ton of them, and putting them by the bettas in petsmart. If I get a job there I will certainly be doing that.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #15 
OMGemily
Member
 
OMGemily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Oh no worries. Most people don't know. But knowledge is power! (I think that was a kid's show slogan a long time ago lol).

You know what I have thought about doing? Putting a bunch of basic betta info (as well as a reference to our site) on a small piece of paper (like business card size), printing a whole ton of them, and putting them by the bettas in petsmart. If I get a job there I will certainly be doing that.
that would be awesome! haha i think that would make a lot of people realize that theyre not so easy...
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #16 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
I've been working on a betta pamphlet. When I get a chance, I'd be happy to make an American one as well (US gallons and Farenheit) and post a copy here so anyone who wants can use it. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #17 
thekoimaiden
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia, USA
That would be amazing, Bomba! I'm on great terms with my vet and could ask them to place a few in their office.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #18 
reaperss06
New Member
 
reaperss06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Idaho
I have to say the irony of this is the longest lived fish I did have lived in a small un-heated tank, fed flakes and I changed the water when I noticed it dirty. So explain that to me, after that I've tried your guy's processes and they don't live that long.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #19 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Your fish was an exception to the rule, not proof that those conditions were correct. He sounds like a very hardy little guy, and I bet he'd have done even better in optimum conditions. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #20 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaperss06 View Post
I have to say the irony of this is the longest lived fish I did have lived in a small un-heated tank, fed flakes and I changed the water when I noticed it dirty. So explain that to me, after that I've tried your guy's processes and they don't live that long.
I am trying to follow the rules here plus I think I chose a very healthy fish to start with and so far so good. However I have been hearing a lot of stories like yours of fish being kept against all odds and living for a very long time.

It is strange considering how some of the regulars here seem to have many problems keeping their fish healthy.......

That doesn't mean i will slack off on good fishkeeping!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Time Breeding Bettas Xqwerty Breeding Betta Fish 2 01-06-2012 10:17 AM
Are you saving up for something? dukie1346 The Lounge 20 06-28-2010 11:18 PM
Rub A Dub Dub, Bettas in the.....Cup? lol Water change time & a question =] DarthMaul Betta Pictures 6 04-06-2010 08:32 PM
Fun time for Bettas? Wed Betta Fish Care 10 07-29-2009 03:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.