Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #11 
Laki

:) It's okay, everybody learns at the bottom and works their way up! Bettas blow bubbles naturally, if they can see each other through the barrier than they are creating territorial boundaries. They simply do not have enough room to fight for their territory.
As soon as you can, (possibly within the 2 weeks you have to return items to petco) get some more money and return the 1/2 gallon and get a bigger tank. They'll be happier!

You can check on kijiji or craigslist for cheap-free tanks as well. I found my 3 gallon for free. That way you can keep the 1/2 gallon for a hospital tank. It sounds like you're very new to betta keeping ^.^ Congrats! I first came here when I got my first betta Lakitu. I think we got him free with the "betta kit" which consisted of the same 1/2 gallon you have. This is a friendly site in which to learn the wonderful hobby of betta keeping!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #12 
wah543

Yeah this is my first time getting betta fish I got one male Veiltail and a female Crowntail, I don't think I can return the tank now because I used all the money I had saved up on the fish the tank the food and conditioner. I'll save up for a little and buy a bigger tank. And one quick question what size tank would you recommend for them? Should I get a bigger tank with a divider or two separate tanks?
wah543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #13 
Laki

That's okay. Just save what you can and get them in a bigger tank asap. If you're going to separate them, get them at least a 1gallon EACH. TO house them separately, you might need 2 heaters though. To save cost on that, you can house them together and get anything above 3 gallons (because divided they will each get 1g) and get 1 heater for the tank. But you HAVE to have them divided!!
If you were not aware, bettas should have heated water. Smaller tanks are harder to heat because of the small volume of water. I kept a 1 gallon heated fine with the ZooMed 7.5 watt "betta therm".
Focus on the larger tank before saving for a heater!! Keep in mind, if you get something like a 5 gallon (A LOT of thrift stores and online classifieds have 5 gallons) you will have to make a divider. There are homemade divider DIY's here on the this forum. They're cheap to make too, just those plastic needlepoint craft things. But I don't know anything about them. I can dig up a thread if you need though :)
Old 03-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #14 
wah543

Yeah I did know they need a heater but I don't have one yet I've only had them for a week and thanks for all the help I need to start saving for a bigger tank now
Old 03-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #15 
Laki

No problem ^.^ The heater can wait
Old 03-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #16 
Bombalurina

To save on money and to get them a bigger tank right now - go to a home depot or dollar shop and get a large plastic container. You can get a 5 gallon one for a few dollars, as well as the kit for a home-made divider. They are safe to heat and then you can spend the money on a heater, which is super important, instead of having to buy a tank, too. :)

The tank can come later, after all. To save money in other areas, don't worry about getting gravel or other decorations yet either. A couple of clean coffee mugs will make great little caves for them and they'll enjoy swimming in and out of them. :)

So - grab a storage tub, divide it and get a heater. I'd make those your top priorities. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #17 
plakatkhmer

Wah I got the same tank that. I just clean it every 3 days. Or sometimes even two days. lol Their fine.
plakatkhmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:54 AM   #18 
kfryman

That tank should be cleaned about once every other day with one of those being a 100%, That is so ammonia which is super poisonness to them doesn't build up. You did get water conditioner right?

One really bad thing on the bettas you have, male and female. The male has hormones that are released into the water. It is possible, though I don't know how likely, the female may become egg bound. She could die from it. The male is also probably building the nest as he knows there is a female and thinks he will be bred. Bettas house the eggs in the nest until about two days after they hatch.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #19 
Laki

Oh, one is a female.. Yes, that could explain the bubble nest! EEk, I thought they were both males, AND I remember reading that one was female CT.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #20 
wah543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Oh, one is a female.. Yes, that could explain the bubble nest! EEk, I thought they were both males, AND I remember reading that one was female CT.
Wait what could happen if ones a female?