How old are they?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #12 
bettasusa

wow! these fish and photos are amazing!
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #13 
Flexxoo

mine is currently sitting under his nest the fries are starting to pop out their little bodies now congratz to you as well :)
Flexxoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #14 
vilmarisv

Thanks! They are 10 days old now and I just moved them from my spawning tank to a grow-out container. There's about 20 of them left, unfortunately. This was not the big spawn I was hoping for.
I did just placed the pair back into the breeding tank to repeat the spawn. I REALLY want a good one from this male before he's too old and I have to retire him.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #15 
vilmarisv

The fry are 2 weeks old now and I was able to take pictures.
They are eating bbs now.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #16 
bettalover2033

Adorable fry! I can see the blue shimmer on them already! Their full stomachs are my favorite part.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #17 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Thanks! They are 10 days old now and I just moved them from my spawning tank to a grow-out container. There's about 20 of them left, unfortunately. This was not the big spawn I was hoping for.
I did just placed the pair back into the breeding tank to repeat the spawn. I REALLY want a good one from this male before he's too old and I have to retire him.
If he was previously a bad breeder and daddy, try a different set up. Some of mine breed better in deep while others in shallow, some in big tanks/tubs and others do better in 1g shallows....

Good luck on your second attempt. Hope they do better.

Congrats on your first spawn. 20 is a good manageable number - less worries/stress on your part. Lol. Btw your pair is gorgeous.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #18 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Adorable fry! I can see the blue shimmer on them already! Their full stomachs are my favorite part.
Yes! They are a little smaller that I would like but I have to honestly say they didn't get much attametion the first week of life. They are now getting tons of food and water changes every 2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
If he was previously a bad breeder and daddy, try a different set up. Some of mine breed better in deep while others in shallow, some in big tanks/tubs and others do better in 1g shallows....

Good luck on your second attempt. Hope they do better.

Congrats on your first spawn. 20 is a good manageable number - less worries/stress on your part. Lol. Btw your pair is gorgeous.
Thank you! Because of his long fins I breed him in less than 3 inches of water. I did think about using a smaller tank but he did fine the third time around. I was very worried about the eggs and fry because of his track record so I removed the male when the eggs started hatching and placed and created some water movement with airline tubbing and a pump.
The male has been depressed ever since but the fry are doing beautifully and it's a much larger spawn this time: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....52#post1014852
Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #19 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Yes! They are a little smaller that I would like but I have to honestly say they didn't get much attametion the first week of life. They are now getting tons of food and water changes every 2 days.
Well it's just a matter of time until they are the right size. I usually do the same thing. I wait exactly a week before my first water change, but continue to feed since they are 4-5 days old depending on the size of the spawn.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #20 
vilmarisv

Here's some of the fry now at 1 month old.
Attached Images