Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #1 
KasaraWolf

Help! My Friends Double Tail is Extremely Ill

So! My friends Double Tail, Sune (Sue-nay) Seems to be REALLY ill. He dropped him off at my house for me to take care of while he is at work, but I am not sure how much medication to give him. We already tried Aquarium Salt, but it seems that his condition keeps getting worse-

Right now, he is in a Quarantine 1/2 Gallon tank. He has open sores all over and his fins are shredding like crazy. At the moment, he has white poop coming out of him that seems to not be going anywhere, and he keeps hand standing like my old Betta, Kingston. I currently have Maracyn I and II and E.M. Erythromycin, but don't know how much to put in.

Please Help!

Last edited by KasaraWolf; 03-13-2012 at 10:27 PM.
KasaraWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Is the poop stringy?

If so, get either Jungle or General cure if you are US based. This is a parasite medication.

Start on 1 tsp/gal Epsom salt (Dissolve first, no scents or colors). In your case, 1/2 tsp dissolved in treated water. change all of his water every day.

The epsom salt will act as a laxative to help him go poop and possibly rid him of some parasites. Afterwords, the medication should kill them off.

Clean water with the 100% changes will help with the open sores.

If you don't mind my asking, how did your friend let their betta get in this condition?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #3 
KasaraWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Is the poop stringy?

If so, get either Jungle or General cure if you are US based. This is a parasite medication.

Start on 1 tsp/gal Epsom salt (Dissolve first, no scents or colors). In your case, 1/2 tsp dissolved in treated water. change all of his water every day.

The epsom salt will act as a laxative to help him go poop and possibly rid him of some parasites. Afterwords, the medication should kill them off.

Clean water with the 100% changes will help with the open sores.

If you don't mind my asking, how did your friend let their betta get in this condition?

No, his poop is not stringy.

Alright, I will see what I can do.

He actually bought him this way, he had all these sores on him when he brought him to my house to show me. He is really good at keep fish (Although, not so much as to treat diseases, that when he comes to me for the "basics.") He really does love this little guy :)
Old 03-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #4 
Pataflafla

Alright. Just start out with clean water (100% daily changes) and aquarium salt at 1 tsp/gal. Remember to dissolve the salt first.

This should be enough to stop any fin rot from developing while helping the sores on his body. If he gets worse in the first 5 days of treating with the aquarium salt, up the dose to 2 tsp/gal and treat for 5 more days. In that last 5 day period, if he gets worse, either take him off, lower the dose, or up to 3 tsp/gal (Depending on if he's uncomfortable or if it's an infection).

If he doesn't respond to the aquarium salt after 10 days or shows dramatic regression, then start with an antibiotic.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #5 
KasaraWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Alright. Just start out with clean water (100% daily changes) and aquarium salt at 1 tsp/gal. Remember to dissolve the salt first.

This should be enough to stop any fin rot from developing while helping the sores on his body. If he gets worse in the first 5 days of treating with the aquarium salt, up the dose to 2 tsp/gal and treat for 5 more days. In that last 5 day period, if he gets worse, either take him off, lower the dose, or up to 3 tsp/gal (Depending on if he's uncomfortable or if it's an infection).

If he doesn't respond to the aquarium salt after 10 days or shows dramatic regression, then start with an antibiotic.
No Epsom Salt? Okay XD He has already been on the 100% water changes and AQ Salt for 3 days now, but not getting any better, just getting worse. He also doesn't eat D:
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #6 
KasaraWolf

STATUS UPDATE: Sune is doing much better now! :D I had little faith that he/she would survive the night, even 3 days later I still believed that she/he wouldn't make it, since Sune's fins were down to nothing but nubs and it was headstanding constantly.

Well now, Sune's fins are growing back! And I believe he may be a SHE...but I am not sure yet XDD She looks very Crowntail at the moment with her tattered fins, but is now eating and EXTREMELY active. Sune has even made friends with her new neighbor, Pisces. That's why I also think he is a she...he flares at males and his gills get HUGE. As soon as he saw Sune he went to the side of the tank, flared his fins a little, but when she approached he backed off and darted to the other side of the tank where he hid. Pisces has always been a tough little guy, not afraid of anything, but as soon as he sees Sune, his tough guy routine goes away Now they both hang together next to the wall that separates them and he does a little "dance" like he does for me when he's hungry. She just get's all excited, no flaring, I haven't even seen her flare with her gills like the guys do O: He is gonna be so depressed with Sune has to leave us back to her old home D: