Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #21 
Laki

Nothing, I thought both were boys. Someone above mentioned the male releasing hormones but I cannot confirm that because I don't know. Like 2 males though, a male and female (while not spawning) will fight.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #22 
wah543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Nothing, I thought both were boys. Someone above mentioned the male releasing hormones but I cannot confirm that because I don't know. Like 2 males though, a male and female (while not spawning) will fight.
I thought you said eek because something was wrong, I keep them divided though sometimes when they both come up to the middle and see each other the male will spread out his gills I'm not sure what that means
wah543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #23 
Bombalurina

It is him flaring. It can be either showing aggression or showing off for a potential mate. Whatever you do, though, don't be tempted to put them together.

Plakatkhmer: they may be fine now, but it is a very unsuitable long term home and they will not live full, healthy lives in it. Although bettas are capable of living in small spaces, they still need room to exercise or their muscles atrophy. They also need heat. If you put them in a bigger tank with a heater (at least a gallon each) you will see a great change in their activity levels.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #24 
wah543

Oh ok I'm not planning on putting them together anyways and I'll be buying a bigger tank soon and I'll get a heater too
wah543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #25 
Bombalurina

Do you have any gallon bowls or vases? Even if you don't, they should be a couple of dollars at a thrift shop or dollar shop. :) They'd make better (read: bigger) temporary homes as a) they would be seperate and b) the size would mean better dilution of ammonia. :) Any container you can provide these guys that is bigger than the quart they currently have now would be great. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote