Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #1 
Zippy

Question about transfering my betta!! Please read :)

My betta Zippy is currently in a 1 gal tank with relativly cold water. I am going out tonight (after work) to get him a larger tank (maybe 2.5 gal??) with a heater. My question is this: How do I go about transfering him from the cold water to the warm water? I don't want to do anything to harm him and I know the sooner the better for him. Please help me do right by him :)
Thanks so much!
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #2 
skipperdee

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
My betta Zippy is currently in a 1 gal tank with relativly cold water. I am going out tonight (after work) to get him a larger tank (maybe 2.5 gal??) with a heater. My question is this: How do I go about transfering him from the cold water to the warm water? I don't want to do anything to harm him and I know the sooner the better for him. Please help me do right by him :)
Thanks so much!

Maybe you could transfer him in a plastic bag and let this sit in the warm water for about 10-20mins, to let the water in the bag adjust slowly, then slowly let the warm water into the bag and release him that way
skipperdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Skipperdee is correct. Here's the process for you in steps.

1) Fill up the 2.5 gallon and let it heat to the correct temperature (78-82). Make sure you use an in-tank thermometer to make sure the heater is getting to the correct temperature.

2) Gently pour Zippy into a bag full of his water from the 1 gallon. Trap plenty of air inside it and let the bag float in the 2.5 gallon.

3) Allow him to float for about ten minutes, then open up the bag and pour a little bit of water from the 2.5 into the bag. This will help adjust him to the new water chemistry as well as the temperature.

4) Repeat that every ten minutes 3 times. Ten minutes after the final time, you can release him into the new tank. :) It doesn't matter if you get some of the water from the bag in there, as you know it is disease-free. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote