Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #1 
BettaLuv12

First Time Breeder

Hi, I have a beautiful, blue Male betta and I want to mate him. Can someone please tell me how to go about doing that??
BettaLuv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #2 
Boikazi4o9

Red face

If you want to start breeding, first you need the time, money, and space. If you got all that, then you can read this page. Very helpful.

http://www.bettaterritory.nl/BT-Breedingmain.htm
Boikazi4o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #3 
styggian

You'll need a breeding setup with live plants, a small bubble filter, a variety of live foods for the fry among several other things. It isn't easy to start breeding.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82909 Here is a good thread that goes into more detail.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #4 
Amphibianite

As stated, you will need live food for both the adults and the fry, several types of live food for the fry, at least a 20 gallon tank if not a 30 gallon. Adjustable heater, sponge filter, live plants, snails are helpful, room for hundreds of fry, tons of time, and a couple hundred dollars to get going.

I suggest you read all the stickies here in the breeding section, and several of our spawn logs here.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #5 
MrVampire181

Unless he is from a breeder and has reliable genetic traits I'd advise AGAINST breeding him. Unless you have at least one year of research under your belt don't breed. Read everything you can for at least a year then get a pair of quality fish and all the right supplies.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Unless he is from a breeder and has reliable genetic traits I'd advise AGAINST breeding him. Unless you have at least one year of research under your belt don't breed. Read everything you can for at least a year then get a pair of quality fish and all the right supplies.

+1 wht MrV said.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #7 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Breeding any fish is a big commitment. Listen to everyone above. (:
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #8 
bettabreederBB

Well, personally I don't think you need any of that. I have my bettas in a 1 Gallon, because they both freak out in large tanks for some reason. They slam into the walls for days and wont eat if they're in a big tank. Just get a styrafoam cup, ( my betta has made a bubble nest under his!) cut it in half. feed them little as possible. My female has submission stripes and he flares at her in a S mostion, and she watches and sometimes gives a little show of her own if he doesn't chase her. He chases her under the nest, they should spwan soon. Please dont reply hatefully or rude, it's what works for me. No filter or anything.
bettabreederBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettabreederBB View Post
Well, personally I don't think you need any of that. I have my bettas in a 1 Gallon, because they both freak out in large tanks for some reason. They slam into the walls for days and wont eat if they're in a big tank. Just get a styrafoam cup, ( my betta has made a bubble nest under his!) cut it in half. feed them little as possible. My female has submission stripes and he flares at her in a S mostion, and she watches and sometimes gives a little show of her own if he doesn't chase her. He chases her under the nest, they should spwan soon. Please dont reply hatefully or rude, it's what works for me. No filter or anything.
You DO need everything listed. You can spawn them no problem, raising them is a different story. Unless you have a proper breeding set up you WILL fail.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, breeding betta fish, breeding male