Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #1 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Dead in a day. Now what?

Problem apparently similar to Wistearya's in this section. What's with these sudden deaths?

My new Petco/king of which I was so proud was adjusting nicely to his new home. After a week of decreasing skittishness, he was eating enthusiastically, evacuating copiously, responding appropriately and gaining weight.

I put him to bed Thursday night well-fed and healthy. Friday morning, he looked a little slow and pale, showing less than his usual volume of feces. I checked the water and decided not to feed him that day.

At 4pm he was very pale, breathing hard and running into the walls, but swimming upright when not resting on his filter or in his plants. I immediately did a 50% change and began a "Help" post to this forum.

At 6pm he looked and behaved even worse. I began to prepare an epsom salt bath. By the time I was ready to put him in, he was dead.

He was in a 5gal unfiltered tank with live plants at 79* eating 9 Omega One pellets per day in 3 feedings. I performed at least a 50% change almost daily (he put out ammonia like a goldfish) so he never saw >.25 NH3 nor any NO2.

I'm still in shock. I've never heard of bloat killing an apparently healthy fish so quickly. I've dealt with something that looked like this before, always to a positive outcome. What is possibly going on?
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #2 
ravenwinds

It's kind of scaring me! Last week I received the last of 7 bettas from Thailand...they seem perfectly fine but one of my other sorority girls doesn't...so now I'm all paranoid! So far, only some of my mollies and guppies have died...I guess its water changes and aquarium salt for the lot of an insane amount of tanks!

I am so sorry for your loss:(...
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #3 
carotid

your betta

water changes means nothing if you don't vacuum your gravel and remove all the poop at least once every 3-5 days especially when you're feeding 9 pellets a day
carotid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:13 AM   #4 
ravenwinds

Very true...always do vacuuming w/water changes...I always do!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:46 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Good point. Thank you.

That's the reason I run bare-bottomed tanks; so I can monitor the amount and quality of the poops. Also to keep plant and food debris from accumulating.

I always vacuum. It is particularly important when running without filters.

Last edited by Hallyx; 03-19-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #6 
wystearya

I'm so sorry for your loss! It is always hard, especially when your not sure what went wrong. :/
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

It's possible he was sick when you got him. Even if there are no visible symptoms, he may of been subjected to high ammonia levels in his cup which can compromise their immune system.

did you use conditioner?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenwinds View Post
I guess its water changes and aquarium salt...
I've followed your other thread with great interest, yet I am unclear as to what you're using AQ salt for.

Thanks, Tiki, I always use conditioner, even with my pure sweet well-water. Something about keeping the heavy metals attenuated. Is that correct?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:59 AM   #9 
TorisExtraordinaryBettas

it doesnt sound like you did anything wrong. I've had pretty good luck with my "store bought" bettas but those fish you buy at the petsmart, petco, ect. are more offten than not imbreed and the slightest thing will make them sick or even kill them. im very sorry for your loss and i would try to get my money back
TorisExtraordinaryBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #10 
TorisExtraordinaryBettas

the salt kills infections, inside and out. i use it when my bettas are looking a little sick and they get better within a couple days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
I've followed your other thread with great interest, yet I am unclear as to what you're using AQ salt for.

Thanks, Tiki, I always use conditioner, even with my pure sweet well-water. Something about keeping the heavy metals attenuated. Is that correct?
TorisExtraordinaryBettas is offline   Reply With Quote