Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #1 
DBFishkins

Please help DavidBowie Fishkins!

Hi all! I've been lurking this site for about a month doing research before getting my very first Betta. I finally got him about 4 days ago and now he seems to have fallen I'll :( I suspect cotton wool disease. His fins are clamped and his left fin is gimpy now, and stuck to his body. He users it occasionally but not often.he has white fuzzy stringy stuff growing on his fins and a few teeny white clumps on his back. He hasn't been eating and he's pretty much been staying near the top of his tank in his silk plant. He was fine yesterday, my husband turned the heater in his tank on because it got too cold (70, he said.) The light usually keeps the tank around 74. We bought a heater for up to a 5gal tank but he's in a 2.5gal. Anyways, he left the heater on an the temp was at 86F when I checked him. He looked fine, maybe a bit sluggish but I attributed that to the heat. The next morning poor Fishkins was covered in the white stuff. I (foolishly) decided to wait it out to see how he would be in the morning but when I checked on him later it was worse. So we ran to Walmart praying they had fish medicine because everywhere else was closed. I bought MelaFix(?) and a Malachite Green solution and dosed him with both. 30 minutes later his tail find had cleared up some. I also bought aquarium salt to add, but I'm not sure if I do that with a water change or while Fishkins is hanging out in the tank. I'm keeping the temp lower while he has this crud and hopedully I can get a correct heater soon. I appreciate your help! I will fill out the form, as well.

What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 74F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Not currently
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2pellets 3x a day but he hasn't been eating

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? None yet but plan to do a 25% water change tomorrow
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta Bowl water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Color still bright
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No longer flaring, fins clamped, sluggish and no appetite. He does greet me when I come to see him.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Earlier this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, MelaFix(?) and malachite green a per directed
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No?
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, just bought him
DBFishkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #2 
DBFishkins

I forgot to say: I turned off the heat when I saw it was at 86F!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #3 
DBFishkins

I also siphoned out old leftover food from his tank with a turkey baster. I want to wait to do a 100% water change for when he is better because I don't want to add stress. Is that a bad idea? I was planning on doing a 25% in the morning. The medicine bottles said to remove the carbon filter so it's off currently. I don't like the filter off but I'm not sure what to do there.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #4 
DBFishkins

Well, Fishkins seems to be doing a little better now. He is breathing (if that is what it's called) quite heavily, but he can now use both of his little fins, but they look pretty ragged. I read MelaFix is harmful to Bettas and can melt their fins, any opinion on that?

Most of the white crud has cleared up, but his fins are still clamped and he isn't eating still. I may do a 100% water change tomorrow and pick up some antibiotic for him. I'm afraid of what I've heard about MelaFix.