Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #1 
MrsFeatherbottom

Red face Another nut starting a sorority..

So, I'm fishless cycling this 20 gallon tank right now. I love bettas, and have seen videos, and heard that it's possible to have sororities. What I DIDN'T know...is that I'm probably making a huge mistake. Unfortunately, I didn't start reading the actual experiences of other people until AFTER I got my 5 girls.

Now that you know I can't turn back, I just want to know if this looks like a good tank for the gals. Enough hiding places?
Name:  DSC_0445.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  64.5 KB
It looks slightly different now, but this is basically it.

I'm planning on adding a school of neons. Would it be better to add the neons first, and then the bettas?
MrsFeatherbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #2 
bettasusa

I love it!
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

I would put more plants up near the surface, and in the foreground of your tank. These are areas your females will congregate near and where fights are most likely to break out.

You want to create as many impediments as you can to dissuade chasing, as well as to break the line of sight from one end of the tank to the other.

I personally would put the neons in first. However, they can be very sensitive and are really suited to mature tanks so ideally make absolutely certain your tank is fully cycled before adding them.

Can I ask how you are currently fishlessly cycling it?
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #4 
MrsFeatherbottom

I'm using pure ammonia. It's in the nitrite-nitrate phase right now. Getting so close! Thanks, I thought I might need more hiding near the top..since that's where they like to stay. What do you recommend. I would prefer something fake. I don't have the right set up for live plants. :/
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

That's okay. I was hoping you'd be using that method as it's easier to measure and control than just letting some fish flakes rot.

I've found the best plants for my females are ambulia, water sprite and wisteria, so if you can find some silk or plastic plants that mimic the general appearance of these, they should work well at providing appropriate cover.

You could also just remove/unscrew any base from these plants and let one or two of them float at the surface.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #6 
MrsFeatherbottom

Thanks for the ideas! I was thinking of getting the suction cups, used for the tubing, and attaching some plants to the glass as well.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #7 
kfryman

Yeah more plants are needed. In my tank the fights always happen right at the front. I have lots of live plants though so they can get away. Anyways there will always be fights, you just have to make sure they can swim away and the one chasing cannot see where they go.

A good indicator if you have enough plants, look through one of the sides, if you see the other side you need more plants.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #8 
MrsFeatherbottom

So sororities basically need an aquatic jungle. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #9 
bananafish

I can't add anything to the sorority discussion, but I wanted to tell you that I love your username. Best. Show. Ever.
bananafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #10 
MrsFeatherbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananafish View Post
I can't add anything to the sorority discussion, but I wanted to tell you that I love your username. Best. Show. Ever.
Haha, I was wondering when a fan would notice. :) You hear about the new season? Going straight to Netflix.

Tags
20 gallon tank, cycling, neon tetras, sorority female community