Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #41 
FishyFishy89

My BFF has a cockatiel. He used to be very bipolar with me. Hated me and the next second he loved me. Now he just permanently hates me. I'm not sure why, I've always been nice to him. I've fed him treats, filled his dish a few times/scratched his head while he was quite.
The only "aggression" I've showed to him was when he would attack me, oh which I'd just shoo him away with my hand. His behavior really doesn't help my fear of birds.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #42 
copperarabian

awww I love birds so much, they're behavior and intellect make them fantastic companions. I have a Galah cockatoo who I just adore, she's not like any Galah I've ever met. She's so quite and calm, sometimes a little nervous but I socialize her and take her places so she's pretty used to experiencing new things. She was abused and neglected and seeing her now is such a amazing thing, you wouldn't even think she was the same bird if she didn't have such dark coloration.

She's harnessed trained and I take her all over with me, she goes on walks and to my friends houses, and to some stores that allow me to bring her inside.

Quote:
beat2020
Size of the bird doesn't really matter.
One question though,,,you know how people play with thier birds outside of their cage won't the bird like fly away?haha
EDIT: Nvm I forgot you have to clip thei wings.
And I would like a bird that makes nice sounds haha
You don't need to clip your birds wings, for some species of parrots it's actually vital that they're allowed to fly. My galah for example, I clipped her wings at first because she was nervous but now I'm allowing her wings to grow back in. Her species often is obese causing fatty tumors and fatty liver disease. A all seed diet and lack of proper exercise only adds to this. Having a fully flighted Galah cockatoo with a proper diet(pellets and healthy fresh and prepared foods) can change they're life span from 20-30 years to 65+ years.

Video of Rosie flying, it's much harder for her because her wings are clipped but once they grow in she'll be a pro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ks0...3&feature=plcp

Also clipped birds can fly if they're outside and there is a breeze or gust of wind. I exercise Rosie so her wings are strong once they grown in and we start recall training.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #43 
makoisland

That is just plain adorable.
makoisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 AM   #44 
MissPokemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arzela View Post
Jake thanks you for the complement. She's actually female, despite her name. I thought she was male for the first two years I had her, and then decided to get her DNA sexed to see if she really was male. Oops.

The species of bird really depends on a lot of things. How much time you can devote (keeping in mind that even small parrots such as budgies can live 15+ years), how much space you have for a cage, noise tolerance etc...
Haha, another person fooled. I thought my Sun Conure was a boy, so I named him Chico (boy in Spanish), untill. . . 'he' laied an egg! An easy name change to Chica (girl) and tada!
MissPokemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #45 
lvandert

I've had my bird for 11 years almost 12. Her name is Spike. She's a cockatiel, and she's adorable. She likes to make annoying noises when I'm trying to study or talk on the phone :P
Attached Images

lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #46 
FishyFishy89

Spike's claws look long. I don't own birds, but are you supposed to clip them?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #47 
lvandert

Yeah, that was just before I clipped them. I didn't realize that when I took the pic :P Her nails are nice and trimmed now though.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #48 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
Yeah, that was just before I clipped them. I didn't realize that when I took the pic :P Her nails are nice and trimmed now though.
Oh good
Shes really cute BTW

My BFF's birdy is mean to me :'(
Old 03-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #49 
lvandert

Most cockatiels are unfortunately... They only bond to one person/bird and once that bond is made everyone else kinda sucks in their heads. It took Spike about 6 months to allow Joey to pick her up when she crashes or not bite him when he tries to give her a kiss. But thats with him being around her every day
Old 03-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #50 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
Most cockatiels are unfortunately... They only bond to one person/bird and once that bond is made everyone else kinda sucks in their heads. It took Spike about 6 months to allow Joey to pick her up when she crashes or not bite him when he tries to give her a kiss. But thats with him being around her every day
He was a bit better when I 1st met him
Now he is a total jerk.
I did used to go to her house every day to try and interact with him in case she had to go out of town and he'd be on good terms with me. But, no dice.