Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #11 
MrVampire181

Like Sena said, bettas like shallow areas. I love my 20 gallon long. I can easily raise up to 40 young bettas in it. For a sorority of 12 it should work great!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #12 
Sena Hansler

I add caves, short plants, tall plants, and floating This allows them to be at any level without being stared down... Savannah is fiesty and I may have a problem with her - but we'll see Add as many plants as possible! Too much is never too much
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #13 
kfryman

Here is my 15 gallon sorority. It is a NPT, so it has dirt in it and live plants. With live plants the density is always changing from trimming. The rule is is look at it from the side, you shouldn't see the other side. On mine I chose to keep the plants back from the glass but have dense cover in the back, I have a front shot that I literally just took and a side shot. Btw the only cave I have is the Buddha head.

Hope this gives you an idea!
Attached Images

kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #14 
Sena Hansler

I cannot wait to add more plants haha. It was easier in a regular 20, with floating plants... But in the long tank I can actually add more bottom density without just one cave/rock taking up the space :p
Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #15 
kfryman

Yeah longs are easier to have dense because with a tall your gonna need some tall plants. In a long it can have more shorter plants, and they usually cost less.

Live pls.ra are really good to have as you can buy them small and once they grow enough you can add the girls. Another thing is, if you have enough live plants and they grow a lot, your water conditions will be way better. The way I have mine setup, I only have to do a water change every month, but I get rid of all the plant debris, or at least some of it every 2-4 weeks.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #16 
DoberMom

Wow, a lot of good information. And thank you for the pictures :D looks great. I'd really like a long tank. I just think it would look better too. I don't think I will be doing live plants because there's just too much that I don't know. I might do a couple of moss balls but that's about it. The rest will be an assortment of fake plants. You guys have given me some great ideas. Thanks!
DoberMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

If you want a hardy live plant, java fern :3 I got some. And it grows, and grows and grows...and grows and grows and grows... I haven't had it die on me yet.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

I had five females in a standard 10 gallon/40 litre tank. Then I had eleven or so and it started to get a bit crowded. So I moved mine down into an 18 inch cube, which according to online calculations, is a smidge over 20 gallons.

I still have eleven females in that, and even with its lack of horizontal swimming space, I've had no troubles with them in there.

Here's a semi FTS to show the sort of density I recommend for a sorority

LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

I love your tank ^^
Old 03-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #20 
LittleBettaFish

My tank is in desperate need of some scaping. At the moment it looks like a plant display at an LFS. However, the females love it in there and so many plants provide a lot of cover. Rarely, does a chase last more than a couple of seconds.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote