Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #11 
frazier71

And to your question I don't thing .6mg/l is the same as .6ppm. That's really weird if ur tanks been only going for 3 days and it's that high unless your fish poos a lot. actually for you to have any ammonia is weird and I agree with the stress coat comment. I swear by it but it can be expensive to use as a water conditioner. Just put it in the tank after water changes. Fallow the slime coat directions on it. Also you can get quick start or nutracycle it helps put good bacteria in but I'd read online about them first. I use nutracycle with no harm. Good luck let me know how his fin goes! He's beautiful
frazier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #12 
Myates

Lovely guy you have there..

Did he have the hole before you got him?

Holes in fins like that usually are either from a spiky plant/decoration item, or from excessive ammonia.

Keep in mind, a lot of water conditioners (and Prime being one of them) will turn ammonia into ammonium- which is safe for the fish, but will register as ammonia.
New tanks, especially ones where you haven't spent the weeks to cycle, will have spikes of ammonia/nitrates/ites as it establishes. so you may be doing small water changes during the week from time to time until it settles down- usually takes 4-6 weeks to cycle.

A snail won't do much, cleaning wise.. as it won't remove the fish waste- but a snail will cause there to be greater waste in the tank, as their bio loads are huge, whereas a betta's is actually quite small. Even if they poo a lot..

If there are no live plants, and there is a filter in the tank, usually once weekly 50% with vacuuming/siphoning during the water change is what is recommended to keep the water clean.
Depending upon how many live plants, and whether they are rooted into the substrate, you can lower the amount of water changes/siphoning each week.

If the hole is new I would make sure your plants don't have any points/spikes to their "leaves", make sure the filter isn't too strong- baffle it with an aquarium sponge if needed.. the "safe" zone for ammonia and bettas tends to be 0-.25ppm, if you see higher then a small water change would be needed- even when using Prime, as you shouldn't see one that high.

As long as you keep up with the regular water changes you shouldn't have to worry about rot forming too much- but keep an eye on it anyways, as any damage to a fin makes them susceptible to it.. you'll start to notice a black crusty edging to the damaged area.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #13 
Brendans

[quote=Myates;1020250][\quote]
Whats your opinion on just removing his poop daily, (my tank is bare bottom for now, I didnt want to put gravel in becasue of the cleaning hassle, but if it helps build bacteria build up I'll probably put in some marbles and rocks)
Brendans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #14 
Brendans

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier71 View Post
And to your question I don't thing .6mg/l is the same as .6ppm. That's really weird if ur tanks been only going for 3 days and it's that high unless your fish poos a lot. actually for you to have any ammonia is weird and I agree with the stress coat comment. I swear by it but it can be expensive to use as a water conditioner. Just put it in the tank after water changes. Fallow the slime coat directions on it. Also you can get quick start or nutracycle it helps put good bacteria in but I'd read online about them first. I use nutracycle with no harm. Good luck let me know how his fin goes! He's beautiful
Sorry for badgering you with so many questions! And thanks a bunch for your concern. The hole's actualyl even bigger this morning =/ I don't think its catching on anything since his plants are soft except for the point in his leaf hammock? And he swims around the equipment more than the pretty things... Anyways.
Would I use the ACL in place of Prime or together? (Since it sounds like ACL is also a conditioner) I will definitely pick up some nutra cycle today as well as aqua salts!

With all these new chemicals, do you think theres any risk of Brendan going into shock when I do the water change ?(I'll just be doing 25% today when i get back from work!) (I'll also be sure to acclimate him over the course of half an hour)
TYTYTY
Old 03-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #15 
frazier71

I think hell be okay with the nutrafin cycle. Its just ads started bacteria. If it makes you more comfortable read up on it online. Definately try stress coat first. If it keeps getting bigger trya little bit of meds. Personally I use betta fix. And it really helped my fish over night but there's some people who say it killed theirs but I highly doubt it. I have a thread about it if you want to read it there's some good info there
Old 03-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #16 
frazier71

Get gravel and a gravel vacuum pet smart sells some with a pump so its easy start.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #17 
Brendans

update

so after coming home from work the hole is longer, yet again, and theres a part of the very top of the fin that has torn into a thin strip I think.

I did a 25% water change changing Prime to ACI stress coat and adding in nutra fin bacteria starter.

Will keep you guys posted to see if his fin heals.

The tearing is still worrying me but there doesnt seem to be anything growing on his body, or black edges to the tears in his fins.

Fingers crossed!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #18 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendans View Post
Whats your opinion on just removing his poop daily, (my tank is bare bottom for now, I didnt want to put gravel in becasue of the cleaning hassle, but if it helps build bacteria build up I'll probably put in some marbles and rocks)
You can do that.. you will still want to be doing your weekly water changes, but removing the waste daily will help keep the water a bit cleaner.

OP: Why are you adding in bacteria starter? I don't see a cause for it, and you don't want to be messing around with the chemicals and such too much..
At this point just find the cause of his fins being ripped, and keep the water clean with your regular water change schedule.....

Is there a plant or a decoration that has a point to it? Even small ones will cause holes.. I say it's either a decoration or the filter causing it.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #19 
Brendans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
You can do that.. you will still want to be doing your weekly water changes, but removing the waste daily will help keep the water a bit cleaner.

OP: Why are you adding in bacteria starter? I don't see a cause for it, and you don't want to be messing around with the chemicals and such too much..
At this point just find the cause of his fins being ripped, and keep the water clean with your regular water change schedule.....

Is there a plant or a decoration that has a point to it? Even small ones will cause holes.. I say it's either a decoration or the filter causing it.
The ammonia level had me spooked so I wanted to get the tank cycling quicker.

I sanded down the terracotta ornament/house/cave before i placed it in the tank, and he generally avoids the plants, though they do have pointed tips.

The filter is turned down to a just a trickle and he seems to love swimming around it, as well as the thermometer and the heater...not sure why. I just find it weird that its the same tear getting larger and larger.

Could it be from blown fin? as others are suggesting? I don't think he flares since I've never seen his gills expand, or can bettas flare without the gill expansion?