Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #21 
GreenTea

Moderator, it's great you're trying to offer advice, but as you said, "I hardly have any experience." So I'm wondering why you're posting it? Not trying to be offensive, genuinely curious. Also your description of sororities was... bizarre.

Let's talk about sororities Mandy -

These are the posts Moderator made AGAINST having a sorority, I will bold correct information about them so you can see my response.

-with a sorority there is a high chance of accidentally purchasing a young male when trying for a female, making this problem could lead to the death of one of your fish - What? This implies the purchaser isn't paying attention, wouldn't know the difference between male and female, and wouldn't watch the sorority enough to notice a difference in the fish. Also, a male that young is not going to kill every female his size or bigger in the sorority overnight. That is silly. If she sets up her sorority properly, they will all start out separately and she will be able to observe them. If she buys from aquabid or a local fish store, she can be sure they are female. She can also be sure by purchasing larger females with unmistakable egg spots. Sometimes very young males have false egg spots, this will prevent that from being an issue. So, all in all, that is an absurd statement and easily avoidable.

-there is a high chance of buying a female that is too aggresive for a sorority and will pick on the other females too much - There is always a pecking order in a sorority, with an alpha female, and then going down the line towards the unlucky bottom girl. Someone will probably be picked on every once in awhile, but if there is adequate cover and enough females, this shouldn't be a problem leading to injury. If it becomes a problem, there are several ways to remedy it so that the sorority works just fine. I would be happy to share those with you Mandy. I have a 20 gallon sorority with giant girls over 3 inches as well as a few tiny petco girls, and everything between, with no problems, all added at different times.

-you will need to spend hours and hours every clue of days monitoring aggression, so if you have a jam packed day, a sorority isn't the best choice-No idea where you got this idea. Also... she could always pick a different day to release them? Odd statement. When setting up a sorority, you definitely want to spend an hour watching them, but honestly, within 20 minutes, they will basically have a pecking order worked out, and if you provided enough cover, they will be fine. If you feel uncomfortable leaving them like that, you can always cup them and float them together so they can see each other without being able to nip each other. A few missing scales and nipped fins will be normal when they first are released and establishing a pecking order.

-and feeding is always a problem as the dominant one will eat an abundance of food, while the others will get a very small amount. Leading to bloating, constipation, and Swim Bladder Disease to the dominant one, and stress towards the skinnier ones-Another bizarre statement, assuming she has no problem solving skills or that this would be an issue in the first place... You just need to throw a few pellets this way and a few pellets that way. Feeding them is not really hard, and they will all come up to the surface for food. Maybe for the first day or so the shyer girls will hang back, but they figure out fast that open lid means food time and they have to be quick before the alpha gets there :) They will all get food, don't worry about this. What I do for my giant girls is get them all to one side (they follow your hand) and then with my other hand, throw pellets to the smaller girls in the other direction, and then drop a bunch in for the big girls.

I don't mean to pick on you Mod, but those were such weird things to say about sororities and not accurate at all! They make it sound like a near impossible operation surely leading to death when really, lots of cover, some luck, and patience are what a sorority requires to be successful.

Also Mandy, it does not matter the tail type of fish, some will be more aggressive and some will be less aggressive depending on the individual. If you decide to go with wanting male fish, you could also divide your tank a few times if you want and keep multiple males in there.

Here is a link to my sorority log, a step by step guide and things to consider when setting up my sorority. Bettas together look stunning, and although a sorority is slightly stressful to set up, it's easily my favorite tank and I'm so glad I did it.

My sorority log, so others can learn from my mistakes and successes.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82286

Ravenwinds - "I got 2 labeled female bettas from petco" - Mandy make sure you have more than two, four is the quoted minimum for a sorority, but the more you have (within the tanks bio-limits of course) and the more cover you have, the less likely an injury. With 2 or 3, one will be ganged up on, and if she is killed, there will only be two, and they will likely clash over territory. It's cool that you got a nice fish out of it ravenwinds :) And if you try a sorority again, be sure to check for egg spots and get more females.

Last edited by GreenTea; 03-21-2012 at 07:39 PM.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #22 
LittleBettaFish

I'm a serious slacker with my sorority. I just chuck newcomers in and let them sort it out between themselves. I have two sororities, a 'good' one and one that gets the scraps. If a female is too aggressive for the 'good' sorority, I put her in the scrap sorority where she will invariably get her butt kicked for the first day by my huge Thailand females.

I've never had real issues with feeding my sorority. All my females know a tap means food so they all come to the front and I just sprinkle my pellets in a line, sort of like pigs at a trough.

If someone is too slow to make it to the front, I will just target feed them at the back.

Sororities can be unpredictable, but generally if you approach them with a sensible amount of caution and set it up correctly from day one, you really stake the odds in your favour.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #23 
GreenTea

I agree totally. I'm thinking about setting up a smaller sorority in my 10 gallon for all those poor petco girls. Prevention is key! It's all about the setup and some luck and patience.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #24 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Moderator, it's great you're trying to offer advice, but as you said, "I hardly have any experience." So I'm wondering why you're posting it? Not trying to be offensive, genuinely curious. Also your description of sororities was... bizarre.

Let's talk about sororities Mandy -

These are the posts Moderator made AGAINST having a sorority, I will bold correct information about them so you can see my response.

-with a sorority there is a high chance of accidentally purchasing a young male when trying for a female, making this problem could lead to the death of one of your fish - What? This implies the purchaser isn't paying attention, wouldn't know the difference between male and female, and wouldn't watch the sorority enough to notice a difference in the fish. Also, a male that young is not going to kill every female his size or bigger in the sorority overnight. That is silly. If she sets up her sorority properly, they will all start out separately and she will be able to observe them. If she buys from aquabid or a local fish store, she can be sure they are female. She can also be sure by purchasing larger females with unmistakable egg spots. Sometimes very young males have false egg spots, this will prevent that from being an issue. So, all in all, that is an absurd statement and easily avoidable.
By killed, I meant from a secondary result. Most people that I have seen have no idea it is a male until is gets considerably longer fins and looses the false egg spot. From the make constantly picking in the females they will easily get stressed due to bullying which would result in a lowered immune system. Where most diseases attack. Since I have been around people with sororities for a while I picked up things from them, and usually males are thought to be dominant females until confirmed to be a male

-there is a high chance of buying a female that is too aggresive for a sorority and will pick on the other females too much - There is always a pecking order in a sorority, with an alpha female, and then going down the line towards the unlucky bottom girl. Someone will probably be picked on every once in awhile, but if there is adequate cover and enough females, this shouldn't be a problem leading to injury. If it becomes a problem, there are several ways to remedy it so that the sorority works just fine. I would be happy to share those with you Mandy. I have a 20 gallon sorority with giant girls over 3 inches as well as a few tiny petco girls, and everything between, with no problems, all added at different times.
Actually it readily has become a problem with many sorority tanks where a female becomes considerably aggresive towards her counterparts and is particularly consistent about it, not leaving any sign of a pecking order, which leads to a stressed fish, most likely to get a disease soon afterward due to the amount of stress that lowered her immune system

-you will need to spend hours and hours every clue of days monitoring aggression, so if you have a jam packed day, a sorority isn't the best choice-No idea where you got this idea. Also... she could always pick a different day to release them? Odd statement. When setting up a sorority, you definitely want to spend an hour watching them, but honestly, within 20 minutes, they will basically have a pecking order worked out, and if you provided enough cover, they will be fine. If you feel uncomfortable leaving them like that, you can always cup them and float them together so they can see each other without being able to nip each other. A few missing scales and nipped fins will be normal when they first are released and establishing a pecking order.
Sorry this was a mis typed post, I meant that you'll need to spend an hour every couple of days for about the first week as this is when most of the aggression occurs IMO
-and feeding is always a problem as the dominant one will eat an abundance of food, while the others will get a very small amount. Leading to bloating, constipation, and Swim Bladder Disease to the dominant one, and stress towards the skinnier ones-Another bizarre statement, assuming she has no problem solving skills or that this would be an issue in the first place... You just need to throw a few pellets this way and a few pellets that way. Feeding them is not really hard, and they will all come up to the surface for food. Maybe for the first day or so the shyer girls will hang back, but they figure out fast that open lid means food time and they have to be quick before the alpha gets there :) They will all get food, don't worry about this. What I do for my giant girls is get them all to one side (they follow your hand) and then with my other hand, throw pellets to the smaller girls in the other direction, and then drop a bunch in for the big girls.

Good point, I still have seen mulitple problems with feeding recently but youve seemed to come out with a good idea

I don't mean to pick on you Mod, but those were such weird things to say about sororities and not accurate at all! They make it sound like a near impossible operation surely leading to death when really, lots of cover, some luck, and patience are what a sorority requires to be successful.

Also Mandy, it does not matter the tail type of fish, some will be more aggressive and some will be less aggressive depending on the individual. If you decide to go with wanting male fish, you could also divide your tank a few times if you want and keep multiple males in there.

Here is a link to my sorority log, a step by step guide and things to consider when setting up my sorority. Bettas together look stunning, and although a sorority is slightly stressful to set up, it's easily my favorite tank and I'm so glad I did it.

My sorority log, so others can learn from my mistakes and successes.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82286

Ravenwinds - "I got 2 labeled female bettas from petco" - Mandy make sure you have more than two, four is the quoted minimum for a sorority, but the more you have (within the tanks bio-limits of course) and the more cover you have, the less likely an injury. With 2 or 3, one will be ganged up on, and if she is killed, there will only be two, and they will likely clash over territory. It's cool that you got a nice fish out of it ravenwinds :) And if you try a sorority again, be sure to check for egg spots and get more females.
Oh yes, also. I try to offer as much, and accurate advice that I can. And by I know little, I do. But I am trying to learn and honestly as you can see I'm not learning much and so far I given horrible advise, I might as well and just leave this forum, and give up. I'm no help here at all
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #25 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I'm a serious slacker with my sorority. I just chuck newcomers in and let them sort it out between themselves. I have two sororities, a 'good' one and one that gets the scraps. If a female is too aggressive for the 'good' sorority, I put her in the scrap sorority where she will invariably get her butt kicked for the first day by my huge Thailand females.
Betta boot camp? :P
I think the main thing about a sorority is that you have to have somewhere to put a mean girl, like LBF said. With a 20 gallon you could easily divide part off for a mean girl.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #26 
ravenwinds

Green Tea,
No worries...they were just pathetic looking I had to rescue them to go w/ other females and Sapphire did have false egg spot...I thought he was a small pale/marble color...instead just really young!

I agree w/ both of you...took about 20min for girls to set up pecking order, even after adding more girls later on. My sorority has no issues because I gave them lots of hiding places, no fat or skinny bettas in sorority...fish know how to get food.
And the reason Sapphire didn't kill other bettas...I know how to problem solve...a few weeks of good food and water, it became very obvious Sapphire was a boy; didn't even put him in sorority when it was ready because I paid enough time during feeding and cleaning tanks that I knew my fish and their behaviour.
Bottom line is, if you spend time learning your individual fishes behavior, you can go either community tank or sorority. IMO, sororities are no more difficult than community tanks...if a sorority is your heart's desire, go for it!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #27 
GreenTea

Moderator - "Oh yes, also. I try to offer as much, and accurate advice that I can. And by I know little, I do. But I am trying to learn and honestly as you can see I'm not learning much and so far I given horrible advise, I might as well and just leave this forum, and give up. I'm no help here at all."

Moderator, no please stay! It's great you are learning and absorbing information. If I came off as being disrespectful, I'm sorry. It concerns me when I see people giving advice on compatibility or in the diseases section when they actually don't know as it potentially puts fishes lives in danger, that's all. I hope you will stay and continue to learn and grow. I didn't know anything when I came here :) I mean, just a little. I knew I needed a heater and water changes, and that was it. I learn more all the time! You will too, please stay and help make the forum a well-educated place. And thanks for being willing to learn, a lot of people get REALLY offended and just argue their misinformed views and never take in new information.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #28 
Mandy Pandy

I really do want a sorority... I just didn't know if I was taking on more than I could handle. I haven't had an aquarium since I was about 8 and it's always been my dream to own a betta. At first my plan was to have a male in a 20 gallon with compatible friends but when I heard about sororities... I really wanted to try. Still, I'll probably change my mind a dozen times or more until my tank is finished cycling. :P
Mandy Pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #29 
GreenTea

If you have any questions, please ask me all of them! I'd be happy to help. I know many other members here have sororities, many of them posted in my log, so maybe they will chime in too or you can ask them.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #30 
Bombalurina

Sororities are great fun! All that beauty in one tank. :) My girls all get one really well, so I may not be the best person to ask advice from as my experience has been fairly a-typical, I believe. However, I can recommend them. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote