Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #1 
karpediem

Petco king betta

I heard a lot of people said petco king betta are giant betta which is false, i dont know why petco call those round tail king betta, this make a lot of confusions for some. I will just call them round tail betta or fighter. Their price should cost like a regular round tail plakat disregarding their size.
I breed fighter betta and they have 2 size, medium and large size. Those king betta from petco size look just like my 5 stars fighter large size except that they are less aggressive than the real fighters. I'm not here to talk about my fighters but to make things clear. Real giant betta are 2.5 to 3 inchs when they are about 5 to 6 months.
So, petco king betta are not giant betta.
karpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #2 
Bethydan

Yeah, the little "info" booklet-thingy at the store even says that it is basically just a plakat. A very stout one, but a plakat all the same.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #3 
LionCalie

I thought they were Half-Giants, but was soon educated on the subject. Now I know they are just big Plakats. We have one named Brutus. He was $20.00 at Petco; we don't regret paying the price though.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #4 
Bethydan

I paid $14 for Sykes. I'm too scared to add up the total cost for my 20 gallon setup that he has all to himself at the moment. He's a big fat prince at about 3 inches (all of it body length). So i can't imagine what he's going to grow to in a largish tank. :)
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #5 
karpediem

There is a store 2 hrs driving from my place, he sell the same kind and same size like those ones from petco, and they cost only $4.99.
There is one thing i dont understand how petco calculate the selling price. That store owner is specialized in marine fishes but he also carry a lot of freshwater fishes and he has a little of betta.
One of you paid $14 and the other $20. Here it is only $4.99. Petco is ripping both of you off.
karpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #6 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpediem View Post
There is a store 2 hrs driving from my place, he sell the same kind and same size like those ones from petco, and they cost only $4.99.
There is one thing i dont understand how petco calculate the selling price. That store owner is specialized in marine fishes but he also carry a lot of freshwater fishes and he has a little of betta.
One of you paid $14 and the other $20. Here it is only $4.99. Petco is ripping both of you off.
Where is "here"? I don't know about where you live, but those are the prices for fish in the state of New York. I will see regular sized veil tails for $3.99 ocassionally. But the moment the betta is "special" in any way, the price hops up to $5-15. I don't think we are getting ripped off so much as we live in areas where everything is more expensive.

I did see one Veil tail king betta. I felt like buying him because he was so big he filled the cup and couldn't move. But I didn't have the room at the time. T_T So, Petco can have real king bettas. But I have noticed mislabeling with king bettas as I have noticed mislabeling with every other type of betta.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #7 
LionCalie

I don't feel like I was ripped off. In my area, you will not find the large Plakats at any other store but Petco.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #8 
Flexxoo

lol i have a Halfmoon that is 3.3inch ^_^ in my user photo 100% truth ..yep and he is only 4months
Flexxoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Its personally easier for me to just import some fish and usually my Thai bettas end up being as large or larger than king bettas.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #10 
Flexxoo

yep i got mine during the week from Thai and my seller said his father is almost 4inchs a halfmoon im like dude O_O are u serious right now he said yes >.< so my Titan probably will get bigger and he is not a King betta, Plakat just a HUGE halfmoon his Spread is AMAZING because of his size
Flexxoo is offline   Reply With Quote