Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #21 
tiffanini

BTW, those goldfish are most likely orandas because orandas have dorsal fins and a wen. So don't worry about any tumors.

Also, since orandas are fancy goldfish (not single-tailed), they need at least the minimum 10 gallons per goldfish and at least 10x filter turnover per gallon. In your sister's case, 2x10x10=200 gph.
tiffanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #22 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Powerful filters are pricey and I doubt Tiki's sis will want to spend that much money on her "precious" goldies.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #23 
tiffanini

Powerful filters aren't that pricey, if you ask me. An AquaClear 50 that is 200 gph can be only $35 with free shipping from amazon.com. If Tiki's sis doesn't want to pay, Tiki could say that is she didn't get a better filter, her fish would die sooner. And that wouldn't sound very nice, would it? Goldfish especially need filters because they are ammonia producing machines and need the filtration to keep up with their waste.
tiffanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #24 
thekoimaiden

A good filter alone isn't going to save those goldfish. They need regular, LARGE water changes. A powerful filter isn't going to do much more other than move more water around. When you have high waste production in a small space the best thing is increase water changes.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #25 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yes, we've pretty much done everything we can for them.. More greens in their tank/tummy, more water changes, hopefully a 20 gal upgrade. :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #26 
Tikibirds

UPDATE
I have been doing water changes every 2-3 days. They seem more active. Before they just laid on the gravel. The amount of crap that came up the 1st time i gravel siponed was disgusting. Everytime I do the water changes I get into a fight with my mother about it. She says they are fine and have lived that way for 3 years. yeah well, what about the other 3 she had in there that died?? UGH..there was a reason I lived 5000 miles away from her.

Havent gotten any live plants yet...all the ones I have seen are not actually aquatic.

can someone tell me about their behavior? I dont know about any other fish but bettas and want to know if their behavior is normal

Quote:
Tiki could say that is she didn't get a better filter, her fish would die sooner. And that wouldn't sound very nice, would it?
I already tried that and got the "they lived in there for 3 years and are fine" response

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-23-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:20 AM   #27 
Bombalurina

Fine would mean they'd be fully grown, properly sized by now, not stunted. :( I'm guessing you've tried explaining the difference between alive and thriving? I feel your pain. I had the "he's fine" response for so long about my sister's goldfish...
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:35 AM   #28 
Tikibirds

Quote:
I'm guessing you've tried explaining the difference between alive and thriving?
yup and she said something to the effect that they are just stupid fish
My sister is more receptive to a larger tank and more water changes (provided that I do it) but my mother is 100% against it. John droped off mine last week but god forbid I set it up...I would think 1 tank and 1 heater is better then 5 or 6 smaller tanks and 5 or 6 heaters all plugged in but she does not see it this way.
Of course this is the same woman that has 2 parakeets? in a cage the size of a 10 gallon tank and these birds have NEVER been been out of this tiny cage since she got them. All they do is squak at each other. I know nothing about birds but shouldnt they be let out at some point?

It truly amazes me how incrediby ignorant my mother is.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 AM   #29 
SweetNightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
yup and she said something to the effect that they are just stupid fish
My sister is more receptive to a larger tank and more water changes (provided that I do it) but my mother is 100% against it. John droped off mine last week but god forbid I set it up...I would think 1 tank and 1 heater is better then 5 or 6 smaller tanks and 5 or 6 heaters all plugged in but she does not see it this way.
Of course this is the same woman that has 2 parakeets? in a cage the size of a 10 gallon tank and these birds have NEVER been been out of this tiny cage since she got them. All they do is squak at each other. I know nothing about birds but shouldnt they be let out at some point?

It truly amazes me how incrediby ignorant my mother is.
Not necessarily. Parakeets are notoriously untamable, and letting them out assures never getting them back in, unless you have a bird net. However, with untame birds like most parakeets, it's agreed that they should have some form of flight cage to stretch their wings, something a few feet wide on all sides. If it was something more easily tamed, like cockatiels, yes, they would enjoy and need 'out time' with their humans.

Your family sounds...infuriating.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:18 AM   #30 
thekoimaiden

Bomba hit the nail on the head. Those poor goldies have been severely stunted by poor water quality. As long as they aren't flipping upside down when you feed them, have fins and gills in good shape (no inflammation or red streaks), and not gasping for air, then all things considered, they're doing pretty good. Improving water quality may cause them to grow a bit, but probably not much.

I can't even imagine how filthy that tank was. Mine is filthy after a week with just 2 goldfish in a 55 gal.

I'm sorry your family is so incorrigible. The "it's just a fish" mentality is something I've been fighting for years, too. At least my family seems to get it, but some of my friends sure don't.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote