Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #21 
Laki

Hang a blown up paper bag close to the hummingbird feeder?? I know stores do that here because it will keep wasps at bay bc they think its an invading wasp nest.. But we don't have hummingbirds so I don't know what wasps will do to get to the sugar water!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #22 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I was thinking about getting one of those actually!
We have soo many wasps here, it's crazy. All the food compost and the sugar water around the house. Ugh.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #23 
copperarabian

That's awesome you have wild parrots :D In California there's a lot of parrots but none are native. The only flock I see fairly often is the one up in San Francisco, they're mostly cherry headed conures. I know my parents have seen a few other flocks around the bay area. In orange county there are amazon parrots, other places have Indian Ringnecks and other parakeets.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #24 
bettaboyshiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
That's awesome you have wild parrots :D In California there's a lot of parrots but none are native. The only flock I see fairly often is the one up in San Francisco, they're mostly cherry headed conures. I know my parents have seen a few other flocks around the bay area. In orange county there are amazon parrots, other places have Indian Ringnecks and other parakeets.
its amazing how these things find a way to live ..invasive species i mean by that..we have only the green amazon parrot..the green parakeet and the blue and yellow macaw over here nything else is invasive
bettaboyshiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #25 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaboyshiva View Post
its amazing how these things find a way to live ..invasive species i mean by that..we have only the green amazon parrot..the green parakeet and the blue and yellow macaw over here nything else is invasive
Oh wow that's cool! I met a lady south America(Brazil I think) who lived a ranch and would see blue and golds sometimes. What are the pet parrot laws for native parrots there? Do you need special permits to own the native species? In the us it's illegal to own native species unless you have special permits like a falconer.

Also, here's a pic of my friends blue and gold, he's about to have a bath and is getting excited lol
Old 03-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #26 
bettaboyshiva

Quote:
Oh wow that's cool! I met a lady south America(Brazil I think) who lived a ranch and would see blue and golds sometimes. What are the pet parrot laws for native parrots there? Do you need special permits to own the native species? In the us it's illegal to own native species unless you have special permits like a falconer.

Also, here's a pic of my friends blue and gold, he's about to have a bath and is getting excited lol
you can own green amazon parrots..or orange winged parrot...colombian parrots..without a permit however the blue and gold is endangered and its capture is strictly prohibited..although i've see many people with captives ones..the government has started a breeding program where they breed and release these back into the wild...most of our blue and golds live in the nariva swamp. MY girlfriend has a orange wing and she nursed it from a baby when it had to feathers..now the bird basically think my gf is her mother..and when my gf is eating bends from her shoulder to her lip so that she can feed her loL! ohh and no one is allowed to come close to my gf when (ruby) the parrot is on her shoulder or close by...else look out she runs fast for a bird...and can give ur toe a nasty nip! or wherever she can bite. she is adorable thou and can talk very well..and has accepted me as her dad :P lol....haha
Old 03-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #27 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaboyshiva View Post
you can own green amazon parrots..or orange winged parrot...colombian parrots..without a permit however the blue and gold is endangered and its capture is strictly prohibited..although i've see many people with captives ones..the government has started a breeding program where they breed and release these back into the wild...most of our blue and golds live in the nariva swamp. MY girlfriend has a orange wing and she nursed it from a baby when it had to feathers..now the bird basically think my gf is her mother..and when my gf is eating bends from her shoulder to her lip so that she can feed her loL! ohh and no one is allowed to come close to my gf when (ruby) the parrot is on her shoulder or close by...else look out she runs fast for a bird...and can give ur toe a nasty nip! or wherever she can bite. she is adorable thou and can talk very well..and has accepted me as her dad :P lol....haha
awww that's so cool she rescued him, it sounds more like he/she thinks your GF is it's mate lol. Orange winged amazons are so pretty, I also like the blue fronted amazons which have red on the wing instead of orange :)

This is my bird Rosie, she's a dark morph Galah cockatoo
Old 03-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #28 
LittleBettaFish

We get heaps of birds here. A lot of parrots such as cockies, galahs, corellas, rosellas and lorikeets.

However, my neighbour feeds the birds, so of course we have like a hoard of magpies, and a million introduced and native miner birds as well as these doves that make me want to shoot the lot of them when they start cooing.

My grandparents live on a farm next to a national park and the amount of birds they get there is astonishing, from little wrens to lyrebirds. It's why I'm glad that even though we live in the suburbs, we are in the 'green belt' of Melbourne and there are lots of parks and trees.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #29 
bettaboyshiva

Quote:
awww that's so cool she rescued him, it sounds more like he/she thinks your GF is it's mate lol. Orange winged amazons are so pretty, I also like the blue fronted amazons which have red on the wing instead of orange :)

This is my bird Rosie, she's a dark morph Galah cockatoo
she is very pretty :)...i got a good size cage with nothing in it. i was thinking i got a pair of budgies and bred them..but they make soo much mess and noise..hmmn or maybe a banana bird we call the (semp) down here Violaceous euphonia, male, semp gaturamo, or vemal ( trinidad)(male), gaipava(female) Semp.. they are so easily kept...all they eat is ripe bananas or guavas..and they sing..pretty neat birds

here is a picture of the male http://www.google.com/imgres?q=semp&...:0&tx=73&ty=71

Last edited by bettaboyshiva; 03-23-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #30 
copperarabian

Thankyou :) I think she's the prettiest Galah cockatoo in the world, although I bet everyone thinks that about their birds lol

wow, the semp gaturamo are beautiful! If you do end up breeding them you could hand raise some to be pets. Even little finches can be hand raised to be cuddly.