Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2012, 05:00 AM   #1 
kimnoa

Ich Problem need help.

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I found out that my betta (Olgar) had itch on his head and sides then I removed him from my 20G tank to a 1/2G bowl so that i can easily make 100% water changes daily. I'm currently putting Methylene Blue in both 20G and 1/2G tanks. I've also been adding Aquarium Salt every 12Hours on both tanks. Now Olgar is no longer lethargic but he's ignoring his food. Any advise on speeding his recovery? Thanks ^_^

20G tank has no fish inside. Not Cycled because I have no live plants ATM. How should i know if there's no more ick in this tank? Should i change the water 100%? Thanks.
kimnoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:57 AM   #2 
bettanova2

If you have a heater, try and use it to raise the temperature a bit to 80F as it may speed up the recovery.

Putting also the medicine (Methylene Blue) in your 20G tank, I think it may kill the ich gradually inside too as the ich can only survive inside the fish body. After a few days, I think it is safe to put back your betta in 20G 100% clean of water with conditioner (if it is fully recovered). Let the fish slowly adapt to the water and environment for a half day before the feeding.
Hopefully your betta will back to normal soon.
bettanova2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #3 
kimnoa

Thank you bettanova,

I dont think i'll be needing a heater in my place, I live in a tropical country. The temp today is 80F and its raining. LOL. On sunny days it ranges around 84-89 outside.

Last edited by kimnoa; 03-22-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #4 
bettanova2

You're welcome
Old 03-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #5 
Myates

85*F is actually better to put them temperature at, as it will help kill those icky little things. You will want to do that in the home tank too, as most likely if you see ick on your fish, the eggs have been dropping and you have them currently in the home tank. It is very contagious.

Now, I would look into Methane Blue before you use it.. as it is quite harsh. Generally used for superficial fungus infections, so it won't really be doing much for your ick problem.

The best treatments for ick is:

Raise temperature to 85 F, and then it depends on how you want to go about treating.. you don't want to use AQ salts with medications, so it's an either/or situation..
For salt, add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce. Replace the water with the right amount of salt. Do not continue this treatment for more than 14 days.
If it fails or you do not want to use salt, treat with Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus.

On a side note, keep in mind the water will be cooler then the outside temp.. what you are wanting to avoid is temp fluctuations, which you get without a heater. Yes, your tank may be in the healthy range, but if it gets cooler at night then you are risking the temp fluctuating too quickly which could easily put your fish into unreversable shock- why the recommendation of a heater, as it will keep the temp steady.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #6 
bettanova2

Yeah..I can see that Methylene Blue is used for superficial fungus infections only. To be more effective in cure, it is always recommended to use the medicine specifically for ich disease.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #7 
kimnoa

I've been curing the home tank too and its almost 3 days fish free. I'm thinking of changing the water 100% after 1week to make sure those pesky ich is dead.

About the heater, It's quite rare for local pet shops to sell heaters here, probably because of low demand. I'm gonna check for heaters on the weekend on malls hope they have it there, I doubt there would be one for a 1/2G bowl, guess i should just do a 100% water change tomorrow on the 20g. And put my other betta there and place my sick one on my 2.5G. Hope there's no more ich in the 20G tank. Wish me luck ! ^_^

The methane blue bottle said its good for white spots, fungus etc. I guess it does not work like Tylenol that works on different disease LOL

Anyways thanks for all the replies, i really appreciate all of your help ^_^