Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #1 
Missdubk316

some advice pls

so my betta looks a lot happier then yesterday, he swims around now n plays with his reflection...n he also eats now too...

but what i was wounderin do they always swim on top of the water?

my betta swim to the botton but flots right back up....its funny watchin him swim down then back up n he tries over n over...but i was jus wonderin if it was normal for them always to be on top...?

P.S. thank for all the other help u guys gave me...i took ur guys advice n now mr g ( my bettas name) swims around n is happy.. :P
Missdubk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #2 
fishygal852

I think not.

My betta Tiki never floats to the top is that because he is fat? This is my first betta so I dont know that much about them.
fishygal852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #3 
miagrrl

Bettas can be as unique as their owners. some may like the bottom, some may like the top. in general- they should swim fairly actively all over the tank. regular water changes, a large enough tank, and a balanced diet will help keep them active. if mine ever seems sluggish, a water change and some peas usually fix him right up!
miagrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #4 
Cody

Fishygal - How warm is your tank, and what is the size?

Missd - Your betta may have a swim blatter disease. Wait for someone else more experienced with that answer. If he keeps trying to swim down, and he floats up, that can be a problem. If he swims up and down, that is different.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:56 PM   #5 
fishygal852

My tank is 70 degrees farenhieght (my estimate) and is a little more than half a gallon for the most part he swims all over but he never really like floats if he goes to the top its because he wants to and I figured out that he isnt fat is this bad?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #6 
Missdubk316

he does swim around but mostly when i talk to him..other then that he sometimes play wit his reflection but thats not much...
Missdubk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #7 
Falina

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishygal852
My tank is 70 degrees farenhieght (my estimate) and is a little more than half a gallon for the most part he swims all over but he never really like floats if he goes to the top its because he wants to and I figured out that he isnt fat is this bad?
He shouldn't really float, so don't worry about that.

The water should be at least 76, up to 80. Do you have a heater? Heaters are pretty necessary unless you live in a tropical climate to keep the temperature high enough, but also stable.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #8 
fishygal852

I heard that a lamp on does the same thing as a heater so I have a lamp that gives off heat before it's actually on and I also leave this on because bettas need a light and dark system like we do so I started doing that and it seems to be going good