Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #1 
MMad1121

Missing scales...possible injury?

I was watching my bettas today when I noticed that one of them, Pierre, seems to be missing some scales toward the top of his head. At least I think that's what I'm seeing. He's dark blue/black in color, and the place where the scales appear to be missing is reddish, reminds me of when you get a scrape on your skin that takes the top layer off. He doesn't seem to be affected by it and is acting normal, but it still worries me.

I don't know how it could have happened. I use artificial plants, but I did the nylons test with them and they're safe. The only thing I can think of is I could have hurt him the last time I caught him to change his water. But I'm as gentle as I can be with them and he's usually not too hard to catch.

Anything I can do for this guy?
MMad1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

We need a pic and more info.....

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite, water temp, tank mates, how long have you had him and has he ever been sick and/or treated......

The best treatment for minor fin and scale issues-is fresh, like temp, dechlorinated water from water changes.....often all you need to do is make a couple of extra 50% water changes-especially when they otherwise are acting, swimming, eating normally......remember, nutrition is really important for healing along with quality water.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #3 
MMad1121

Tank is a 2 gal, water changes are done twice a week: one 50% and one 100%. I do not use a filter or live plants and the only additive I use is a dechlorinator when I make the water (I prepare the water at least 24 hours before a water change). Temp stays at about 77 degrees
His appetite is normal, I've had him since January, and he does not have any tank mates. He has never been sick since I've had him.

I'll try to get a picture up soon. If only I could get him to hold still!

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like you are providing great care and have good husbandry practices.....

I would watch the area in question for changes-(as I am sure you are already doing)....and make an extra 50% water only for a couple of weeks as a precaution......

Good lucky getting pics.....it can be a challenge getting a good shot of a moving target....lol.....I still have problems and often I will only get a few good pics from the 100's I take....
Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #5 
MMad1121

Thanks! I do the best I can. Sometimes it is difficult to get two changes in in a week as I'm a college student and it's tough to find the time in the day! But I know they depend on me so I do everything I can to make sure they're happy and healthy.

When I move out of my town home after this school year I'll have a lot more room (there's 6 of us girls besides myself!) and I'm going to get a 5 gal and split it so both will have 2.5 gal. It'll also make it easier to do changes, as I won't be changing 2 every time.

Anyway, I'll continue to keep an eye on it. It doesn't look serious but I wasn't sure if fish were prone to bad infections if they had abrasions or cuts on their body, after all they do swim in their own waste to a certain extent.

So just extra water changes? I don't Need to use any of the water additives that "prevent infection" or "help healing" or any of that nonsense? I keep it on hand just in case, but I've been too fearful to use it after seeing some of the complaints about BettaFix.

Thanks again,
Mackenzie
Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E....the very best medication/treatment for our freshwater fish is......fresh, like temp, dechlorinated water....along with good/proper nutrition that supports the fish natural immune response and antibody development.....

Sometimes/often-the OTC products/medication/chemicals/pesticides sold/used can do more harm than good...especially when you don't know what you are treating.....you can risk: overdose and the fish become toxic, killing the good bacteria/pathogens (not all pathogens are pathogenic) destroying/hindering antibody development, compromise the immune response to name a few.....

Prevention and support of the fish natural immune response by providing proper care with good husbandry practices, proper nutrition...etc.....

The balance of enough water changes to maintain water quality but not so many that you destroy/compromise antibody development....in other words....the tank can be too clean....its hard to support life in too sterile environment....

And don't forget the importance of proper acclimation with new fish and 100% water changes......tolerance can very due to many different factors and sudden chemistry and temp changes can be stressful and that stress can compromise immune response.....

Then patience.......everything takes time......