Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #1 
BettaLover223

fish flaring

My fish seems to always be in a half flare, but he's perfectly healthy. He eats like a champ and is very active. Could there be a certain color that is setting him off?
BettaLover223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #2 
upsideduck

It might just be his personality. I have a very healthy betta I've had for about two years who has been in a state of flaring for most of the time since I got him. I think some of them just like to flare.
upsideduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #3 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsideduck View Post
It might just be his personality. I have a very healthy betta I've had for about two years who has been in a state of flaring for most of the time since I got him. I think some of them just like to flare.
okay good. yeah he's a red halfmoon, he's kind of a butthead at times haha. But he's an awesome fish
Old 03-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #4 
Arctic Mama

My betta is a very aggressive one (no tankmates, he doesn't like my finger, etc) and flares all the time at everything. Seriously, he takes very few breaks. But he eats well, is extremely active, healthy by all visible parameters, etc. He's just a crabby guy.

Given that he shows no signs of stress beyond natural aggressive tendencies I don't sweat it, and my advice to you is to do the same. If nothing else is wrong, it's just his personality and isn't causing harm :)
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #5 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
My betta is a very aggressive one (no tankmates, he doesn't like my finger, etc) and flares all the time at everything. Seriously, he takes very few breaks. But he eats well, is extremely active, healthy by all visible parameters, etc. He's just a crabby guy.

Given that he shows no signs of stress beyond natural aggressive tendencies I don't sweat it, and my advice to you is to do the same. If nothing else is wrong, it's just his personality and isn't causing harm :)
Okay good that had me worried. So he's just being agressive/territorial?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #6 
bettalover2000

If he ever flares too much, cover his tank with a thick blanket to calm him down.
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #7 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2000 View Post
If he ever flares too much, cover his tank with a thick blanket to calm him down.
won't that stress him out??
Old 03-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

No. Prolonged periods of darkness might, but a little bit of dark can have a calming effect. For instance, if you ever have to travel with the betta, keeping them in the dark during transit can help keep them calm. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #9 
BettaLover223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
No. Prolonged periods of darkness might, but a little bit of dark can have a calming effect. For instance, if you ever have to travel with the betta, keeping them in the dark during transit can help keep them calm. :)
i put it on him last night and uncovered him this morning and he was fine
Old 03-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #10 
OMGemily

My buddy Antione does the same thing. he hardly ever fully flares and ive yet to see him go so far as to puff out his gills, but hes constantly, half flared. He's having some problems with fin curling :/ but other than that hes completely normal :) its kinda cute when he swims, he pushes all his fins back to help him move and the second he stops he whips them back out in the half flare thing haha funny to watch
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
half flaring healthy fish