Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #11 
Bombalurina

It seems kind of unjustifiable to me to be buying new fish before getting proper tanks for your existing ones. JMO. I also have to agree with LionCalie, one 100% a week just doesn't seem like enough, especially when some of those containers look to be less than one gallon. Have you tested ammonia levels prior to your water change?

How are you heating the smaller tanks? To keep them warm enough, your room must be uncomfortably hot.

I'd love to see some individual photos - your little (green butterfly?) boy under the cups look beautiful!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #12 
Jessicatm137

Wow that's cool...
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #13 
Pod

Yes, the room is VERY hot. I refuse to allow my mother to put an air conditionar in, because I know that the tanks are too small for a heater.

Yes, I check the levels and stuff. Though to you guys the 100% weekly water changes isn't good, it works fine for me. And all my betta's are quite happy with it. I've tried to keep them in the 6 gallon without the females in separate times. They hated all the space with a burning passion. It was notable by how they were acting.

Honestly, yes. I know the tank's are too small. But, I've also tested to see if they'd perfer a bigger tank. The result was that all of the males hated being in a larger tank. In the smaller tanks, they receive constant care, and constant watching to make sure there are no sickness or other issues.

Though I have them in small-medium containers, I assure you, they are very happy fish. A few constantly build bubble nest. They seem to like to do this during water change day especially.
Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #14 
Bombalurina

Bubblenests aren't a sign of health - they can be prompted by a variety of things, and an influx of new water is one of them. Just sayin'.

If the levels are good, then I'm no longer worried about your cleaning schedule, or your heating. I just wanted to check. :)

One thing I did notice, though, is that your containers are quite bare - that could be a reason that your fish weren't comfortable in the bigger spaces. I've found that bettas are terrified of larger spaces only when they don't have enough cover. When I first transferred Odysseus from the one litre (one quart) tank he'd been in at the shop to his 5 gallon, naturally he freaked. So I took him out, packed the space with plants (I'd only have a few in there at first) and after a day of being nervous, he took to it really well. :) Now that he's used to the space, he has less planting and is still really confident. It's a case of building them up to it.
I'd suggest putting a little something in the tanks that are currently bare (like the little cube) for your fish to interact with. :) Even a bed of java moss or a little anubias nana petite on a terracotta pot. :)
Old 03-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #15 
Pod

Hmm. We at the moment have no money for plastic plants, unless there are cheap fake plants you recommend. . .
Old 03-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #16 
mattoboy

Those will do, as long as they are silk! I went to a PetSmart (Canadian version of Petco) I few weeks ago and they had packs of silk plants for like $12 or $13 and you got 5 or 6. They were pretty big, so you could always cut them in half as well!
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #17 
mattoboy

Those will do, as long as they are silk! I went to a PetSmart (Canadian version of Petco) I few weeks ago and they had packs of silk plants for like $12 or $13 and you got 5 or 6. They were pretty big, so you could always cut them in half as well!
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #18 
TheJadeBetta

Looks good, although the cups worry me. It clearly states: "This cup is no a means of permanent housing." or something like that.

If you local dollar store, craft store, or flea market has silk plants. Those will work just fine. Just wash them in HOT water and then rinse them off in COLD water. I do it all the time and haven't had any problems.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #19 
Pod

Yes, I know about the cups. Like I said, the only fish in a cup right now is my bad girl Sam, who is currently having swim bladder issues due to a slight miscalculation with feeding, and she is floating in the tank in said cup.

And yes, I think I'll go to walmart and buy those small betta plants, or, go to petco and buy them. I'll most likely go to walmart.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #20 
Bombalurina

Java moss is cheaper than plastic plants...just saying :p