Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #11 
fishygal852

I just got my first betta to and I haven't put any salt in is that okay?
fishygal852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #12 
Falina

Like I said I strongly advise against using salt for FW fish. The way i see it is that it's better for the fish to develop a healthy immune system to be able to fight off diseases naturally. In the event that the fish gets sick salt can be used as a treatment for a boost. When salt is used all the time the immune system is weakened, and when the fish does get sick salt will not be a suitable treatment. Salt is not natural for FW fish as they will not come across it in the wild.

Prevention is better than cure as mentioned. The best prevention I can think of is good tank maintanence, proper temperature and suitable tank size/tank mates, basically just providing the best environment you can for your fish. Not the addition of salt or any other substances that the fish was not naturally built to handle.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #13 
okiemavis

I think the salt thing has taken off a bit because people often recommend putting salt in when you first get a fish. The salt is good for fighting infection, so sometimes it's nice to make sure your fish is infection free before adding it to a tank, especially if you can't QT it first, but there's really no need to keep doing it from there.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote