Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #1 
BettasRpeople2

Speech for school

Ok, so I have to give a persuasive speech for school, and I am thinking about giving a speech on reasons Walmart should not be allowed to sell fish. Can you guys help me find some credible sources and research for this? I also would love some pictures of the poor conditions if you all have any. I would really appreciate the help!
BettasRpeople2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #2 
mattoboy

I found this video a while back, maybe this can help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSSRMqmPbAA
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #3 
Wolfboy51

People would steal bettas and other fish from walmart to 'save' them a while ago.
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #4 
BettasRpeople2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoboy View Post
I found this video a while back, maybe this can help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSSRMqmPbAA
That is a sad video. I actually stumbled on that one while I was on YouTube one day which is how I found this site.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #5 
lvandert

sad video. I have to do a persuasive speech too! Your not by chance enrolled in a course at SDSMT are you? lol. Mind if I do the same topic? My class is going to know me as the fish lady but what ever. I'm already doing a 5 min speech summarizing how to breed bettas.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #6 
BettasRpeople2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
sad video. I have to do a persuasive speech too! Your not by chance enrolled in a course at SDSMT are you? lol. Mind if I do the same topic? My class is going to know me as the fish lady but what ever. I'm already doing a 5 min speech summarizing how to breed bettas.
lol No, I'm a student of Northwestern College (St. Paul). They make everyone take speech class, though. I don't mind at all if you do the same topic. I have to write and practice mine this week, and I think I will put some pics on PowerPoint if I can find some good ones.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #7 
lvandert

lol St. Paul MN? That's where I am originally from. It's not hard to find pictures of abused fishies at walmart, sadly.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #8 
BettasRpeople2

I know...poor fishies. And most people just look at it as "they're just fish." It makes me so mad.

Oh and SDSMT? As in Rapid City, SD? Cuz that is where I am originally from.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #9 
Shirleythebetta

I had to take a speech class. I wrote a persuasive speech before and I have to say that my professors reprimanded people for using video's as references. I don't know if your school is different but my school doesn't like it. The rule they gave me is it has to be a source by a legitimate person and not just opinionated. It has to back up facts that can be investigated. So it's better to try online journals by people who site at least their first and last name and even better if they site credentials and/or where they went to college at. Don't use your own emotions too much as in don't say. "It makes me so angry" You could say "something that has angered many fish entusiast's lately..." or something on that line. You could try to run a search on online journals but the issue is you are going to have to sort through a ton of useless emotional chatter about it rather than getting the facts. There is an online petition about this. You could site that webpage to show how passionate people feel about this. You could list the amount of people that have signed it. You could also do some research on a betta's natural habitat and explain why the way wal-mart keeps them is harmful. Pictures help. Maybe a photo of a rice paddy field compared to a betta in a dirty cup. Be careful with that, that could be a law suit.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

I have a friend who wrote an article on bettas for RedFish magazine, which is a legitimate (Australian) fishkeeping magazine. You could try that. :) Practical Fishkeeping could also be a good place to look - another legitimate journal with many a good article.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote