Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #1 
betta fish crazy

Constipation?

I think my fish has constipation but I am not sure. Recently I noticed that his stomach was a little bit larger than normal. I fasted him for two days and his stomach returned to a normal size.This has never happened before in the almost 3 months I have had him.
I don't know what is causing this. Here is a bit more information about him and his enviroment if it helps.
My tank is a 2.5 gallon. It is about 76-78 degrees fareinheight. There is no filter, air stone, or other aeration, but it is heated. My fish doesn't live with any tank mates.
I feed him Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Pellets. I now feed him 2 pellets a day. Recently I started feeding him three a day, but he looked constipated so I switched back to 2.
I do a 25% water change about once a week. I don't put in any additives with the water, but it is spring water.I haven't tested his water recently.
betta fish crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bettas enjoy a varied diet so I would try some freeze dried or frozen food like daphnia, bloodworms or brine shrimp.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

So true...good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals are best.....

You might try feeding 1-2 pellets 2-3 times a day-any other symptoms along with the constipation/enlarged abdomen-like buoyancy issues, clamp fins, lethargic...etc......what are the first 3 ingredients on the fish food....

You also need to increase the water changes in the 2.5gal unfiltered tank without live plants to twice weekly....1-50% water only and 1-100%....

Even with spring water (not recommended) I would use a dechlorinator and unless you have something really wrong with your tap water I would switch over to that or at least to a 50/50 mix...tap and spring water along with the proper amount of dechlorinator......Depending on the filtration process the bottled water may be missing the minerals needed for long term health...

Love to see some pics.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote