Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #1 
Sheldon31

Reflection problem.

I've just got my new boy home. Still nameless at the moment. He's noticed his reflection in the glass and is flaring and attacking, will this die down or do I need to do something to prevent him from seeing his reflection? He seems to be perminatly half flared anyway, was at the store I don't want him hurting himself by head butting the glass.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #2 
KadenJames

In my experience, a male betta will never stop flaring at his reflection, unless he decides to start hiding. Males flare to decipher who is dominant- if his behavior is being mirrored exactly, then neither will ever back down. Know what I'm saying? =P

You can either look into buying dimmer lights, or place a small table lamp next to the tank. That usually cuts down on the amount of reflection.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #3 
Arctic Mama

Mine has that issue, even with bright room light and such. He flares at anything that causes even the slightest reflection. The thought that flaring causes stress or is bad for males is a fairly new one, back when I first started keeping betta I don't recall reading that notion in printed or online literature regarding betta splendens. So unless the fish is showing signs of stress like hiding, listlessness, not eating, washed out coloration, or clear agitation beyond the normal posturing, I wouldn't worry about it.

Some males are more aggressive and some are more mellow. The more mellow males are the ones I worry about, as they seem more prone to agitation and stress regarding the male they think they see. So unless you are noticing ill health effects with the reflective flaring, just enjoy the display and ignore it. Some males stop doing it after awhile, some (like mine) do not, but so long as the fish is healthy and displaying normal behavior (which posturing and flaring definitely is!) I don't sweat it.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #4 
Sheldon31

Thank you both of you :)

I dunno why I'm so worried. He was the one in the store that flared at me and anyone passing and flared at the fish next to him. He even flares at the plants! Maybe he is just a bit bold compared to the others I see in stores. My mother in laws betta barely even blinks (obviously not but you get the idea) when her mollies are all up in his face, almost wimpy compared to my little guy. He doesn't seem listless but he's literally been in the tank for a few hours. He's resting at the moment, lights are off and I'm hoping to get some shut eye myself if my snoring daughter and hubby allow me that is! I'll see how he is in the morning at breakfast time. I'm guessing Bettas are like all fish and may or may not eat straight away?
Old 03-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

That is correct - he may not wish to eat for up to a week. :)

If the flaring does bother you, there are a couple of other things you can try. Painting the back of the tank (on the outside) a dark matte colour like blue or black can reduce it (as well as providing an attractive background). Placing plants along to reflective wall to break it up can also help. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #6 
Sheldon31

He's eaten fine today. Infact he wolfed down the pellets I put in and chomped on a flake I put in for the Tetras so I'm guessing he's not fussy. His flaring seems to have calmed down today, he is pacing the front of the tank a bit. Not erratically or anything just leasurely pacing. I think I might just be a bit in love with him, trying to work out what tail type he has. He looks like a Delta but he doesn't stay still long enough for me to tell.