Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #1 
registereduser

tank used for hamsters

I bought a 20 gallon from a friend who used it for hamsters. I plan on scrubbing it out thoroughly with salt as an abrasive.

Do you think it will be safe for fish after that?

The bigger problem is trying to decide if I want to divide it and get 2 more bettas or just have a community tank with one betta.

I'm pretty sure I don't want the worry of a sorority
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

I would use baking soda or vinegar before I used salt. Both are great natural cleaners. You could also use bleach if you are sure to rinse it down very well afterwards and use dechlorinator at 10x normal dosage when you first fill up the tank. Almost nothing survives bleach.

As for the community v divided tank, I would go with a divided tank. Bettas in communities are rather unpredictable. Plus, what are you going to do if it doesn't work out?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #3 
registereduser

Thanks for the cleaning tips!

I'm wanting to get more cories and otos so that won't be ideal in a divided tank. For other fishies to live with a betta I was thinking just neons and I saw some of those killifish at Petco and loved them!

Would it be better to add the betta after stocking with other fish? So he won't think the tank is all his?
Old 03-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

I guess if you want other fish then a divided tank is out of the question. People have had success with neons and betta, just make sure you have a large enough school of them. I would do more research on the specific species of killifish before you buy them. These two sites are excellent resources: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/ and Seriously Fish - Tropical Fish, Aquarium Fish Tanks, Fishkeeping Info

When adding an aggressive fish like a betta it is best to add them last.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #5 
registereduser

oh, and if it doesn't work out I guess I will have to get another 5 gallon set up

The betta bug has hit this old lady
Old 03-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #6 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I guess if you want other fish then a divided tank is out of the question. People have had success with neons and betta, just make sure you have a large enough school of them. I would do more research on the specific species of killifish before you buy them. These two sites are excellent resources: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/ and Seriously Fish - Tropical Fish, Aquarium Fish Tanks, Fishkeeping Info

When adding an aggressive fish like a betta it is best to add them last.
thanks again! I appreciate not having to wait 24 hours for a response
Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
oh, and if it doesn't work out I guess I will have to get another 5 gallon set up

The betta bug has hit this old lady
Welcome to the club! I'm plum out of space, so I'm at my limit!
Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #8 
Myates

Keep in mind that those little tetras tend to like to snack on long fins.. silly little pretties.

Also make sure to do the water holding test for 24 hours prior to setting it up- as hamsters are great chewers and tend to chew to try to escape their homes, so make sure they haven't chewed up the silicone on the bottom.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #9 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Keep in mind that those little tetras tend to like to snack on long fins.. silly little pretties.

Also make sure to do the water holding test for 24 hours prior to setting it up- as hamsters are great chewers and tend to chew to try to escape their homes, so make sure they haven't chewed up the silicone on the bottom.
I plan on doing that tomorrow after I have my shower

Tetras are fin nippers? I'm shocked! I always thought they were peaceful. I just read that killifish are peaceful.

I will google "peaceful aquarium fish"
Old 03-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #10 
Myates

They are peaceful, and not all of them will fin bite- just like with any living creature, it comes down more to individuals rather then as a whole. The tetras will be fine in with him, neither should try to actually do any harm. But if you end up with a few pieces missing out of the betta's fins, you can generally give a tetra the dirty look and you most likely won't be mistaken on the culprit :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote