Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

If the edges of his fins are tirning black and seem like theyre thinning out and falling off, then its probably Fin rot. Otherwise maybe its natural coloring? I've seen some bettas with natural black edges to their fins.

Take care of the ich first and maintain clean water until you are 20% sure the ich is gone. Then you can tackle the fin rot separately. I had first gotten my betta when he had fin rot and ich. I panicked and read up that that you can nuke fin rot surgically, I took him out of the water and applie some hydrogen peroxide to the edges of his tail. Boy was he mad at me. but the rot died and the tail started healing. Just a story :) i dont recommend you try it unless it is absolutely neccessary
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #12 
ABettaMale

And in the past few hours he has gotten really bad and is now laying on his side with gills hardly moving. RIP.
ABettaMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #13 
copperarabian

poor thing :( It looks like a really bad case of ick, one of my first cichlids got a severe case of ich(no one else in the tank had it), I did a really intense treatment plan for 2 weeks but she didn't make it :(
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #14 
Myates

I'm sorry to hear.. you can try placing him in new water to see if that helps. Have you done your 100% water change today? If so, when was it in relation to him laying on the bottom?

Left untreated, Ich is almost certainly fatal. Infected fish are weakened by the ever growing number of parasites feeding on them. He was very infested by the time you came here, it was probably too late by then.. I'm sorry.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #15 
ABettaMale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I'm sorry to hear.. you can try placing him in new water to see if that helps. Have you done your 100% water change today? If so, when was it in relation to him laying on the bottom?

Left untreated, Ich is almost certainly fatal. Infected fish are weakened by the ever growing number of parasites feeding on them. He was very infested by the time you came here, it was probably too late by then.. I'm sorry.
I did the 100% water change around ten hours ago. He was swimming around a bit after the water change, too. There are no white spots on him at all right now (which kind of made me accept it was done, since there were quite a few earlier today.) Holding out for a miracle.
ABettaMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #16 
ao
TFK Moderator

try changing his water again and help him up for air, if the parasites have left it probably does mean that he is dying. I would give it one more go and see if he can survive in some good clean warm water.
ao is online now   Reply With Quote