Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #1 
Critter Master

10 Gallon Stocking

Hi everyone! Ive been following this forum for quite some time and finally decided to join. I currently have a 10 gallon cycled planted tank that houses my blue/red VT Poseidon, 7 neon tetras and three ghost shrimp of which two are carrying eggs! Heated, filtered, the whole bit. I'm interested in getting some type of algae eater(s) as I have some nice patches of green algae growing at the moment. I know that it's not enough to sustain the algae eaters out right but I figured I might as well put the algae to use. My question is about the bio-load. Can my tank support more fish and if so I would love some recommendations. Thanks!
Critter Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #2 
Mo

A f=ten gallon standard would be an ideal habitat for a Betta and a small school of beautiful fish. Ideally you would want to go for the small species of fish in a tank around that size, here are a few possibilities. but before purchasing them, research there care

6-8 boraras maculatus and a Betta

6-8 boraras brigittae and a Betta

6-8 boraras merah and a Betta

6-8 boraras Naevus and a Betta,

6-7 Corydoras pygmaeus and a Betta

6-7 Corydoras Hastatus and a Betta

6-7 Corydoras Habrosus and a Betta

3 otos and a Betta

You could also add some invertibrates such as Mexican dwarf orange crayfish, amano shrimp, cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp and crystal red shrimp into the mix
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #3 
Critter Master

Thanks for the suggestions Mo! Right now my 10 gallon houses my betta, 7 neon tetras and 3 ghost shrimp. Im wondering if adding some type of algae eater would be too much...I would love to have some corys or otos but I know they need to be 6 or so strong to do well and I don't know if my 10 gallon can sustain that many
Old 03-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #4 
Micho

To be honest you're at your limit already right now!

Adding Otos would be a poor choice, they're very sensitive plus they do better in larger tanks. If you want something to eat your algae I suggest a snail, although snails eat only a certain types of algae and not all, same with Otos.

Cories don't eat algae they like more meaty food better.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #5 
Mo

Yes. Sorry I had not realized they you already had fish. I wouldn't recommend any type of algae eater exept a nerite
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #6 
Critter Master

Thanks for the input! I was pretty sure that I was about at my limit on this tank. I have a larger one in the works to help sate my obsession :)
Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #7 
PandaBetta

I would swap the ghost shrimp for cherry shrimp. Because cherrys are also algea eaters
PandaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #8 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBetta View Post
I would swap the ghost shrimp for cherry shrimp. Because cherrys are also algea eaters
RCS' are nice additions to tanks, but they're quite expensive where I come from. Ghost shrimps are much cheaper. Plus I would try ghost shrimps first or whichever one is cheaper, because if your Betta decides to kill them, it won't burn a hole in your pocket.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #9 
Zero186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Yes. Sorry I had not realized they you already had fish. I wouldn't recommend any type of algae eater exept a nerite
+1 on the nerite!
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

How about amano shrimp? They are excellent algae eaters, and not as likely to be eaten as cherries due to their dull colouring.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae eaters, bio-load, planted tank, stocking, tank mates