Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #1 
freemike

What is going on with his fins? (PICS)

Cosmo had a slight case of fin rot. I got it took care of, but since putting him back in the 10 gallon tank it seems to be coming back. The water checks out fine at 80* and 0 ammonia and nitrites with 10ppm nitrates.

I change the water weekly and keep the trates in check. All my other fish in the tank are doing beautifully. He does flare a lot if the room light gets cut off before his tank light gets cut off.

Here's a few pics....
Attached Images

freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #2 
kfish

What do you mean? His fins look like they're growing back nicely! Sometimes they come in with the rays mismatched like that... It adjusts itself over time, though.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #3 
freemike

That split at the top of his caudal just opened up. The splits at the bottom of his anal fin are reopening up as well. Sorry I should have been more clear. I'm thinking he is just over doing his flaring, but I'm not sure. :/

Last edited by freemike; 03-26-2012 at 01:08 AM.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:09 AM   #4 
kfish

Oh! I see that now. It could be just because they're a little weak from growing back. When I got Mr. Fish he had about half of all of his fins, and when they were growing back (over the course of like 5 months, lol), they split like that A LOT.

Also, make sure nothing in your tank is sharp and the filter intake isn't pulling his fins in. It's probably just caused by the fins being thin, though.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

pretty typical of what my one guy did too.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #6 
Silverfang

it kinda looks like curling or kinking on the anal fin. I have no idea what causes it, but my Champagne has it everywhere but his tail.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote