Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #31 
Bombalurina

I particularly hate the "it's just a fish" mentality. I mean, 100 years ago, it was "just" a woman; 200 years ago it was "just" a black person.

If it can suffer, it's not "just" anything.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #32 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Your family sounds...infuriating.
That is an Understatement!
As soon as I can I am moving away from here again. Last time I moved to Alaska. maybe this time I should move further away - like to Hawaii

Yesterday my mother was threatining to kill my fish. I told her I would feed her angry birds to the cat.

I have tried so many times to explain to my mother that water needs to be changed EVERY WEEK and she is just too lazy to get it. How hard is it to understand that poop and ammonia will build up and therefore the water needs to be changed??

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-25-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #33 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Oh, my parents are the same.. Because even after a week the water still LOOKS clean, so it must be fine.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #34 
Tikibirds

It's so infuriating

Do goldfish need airstones? Their mouths are always going a mile a minute and I dont know if its normal or they are lacking oxygen or what.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #35 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
That is an Understatement!
As soon as I can I am moving away from here again. Last time I moved to Alaska. maybe this time I should move further away - like to Hawaii

Yesterday my mother was threatining to kill my fish. I told her I would feed her angry birds to the cat.

I have tried so many times to explain to my mother that water needs to be changed EVERY WEEK and she is just too lazy to get it. How hard is it to understand that poop and ammonia will build up and therefore the water needs to be changed??
Just be careful about Hawaii. They have different laws about the import and keeping of tropical fish and a lot of animals in general than the rest of the US. Maybe you should try Canada or Europe? Put some international boundary lines between you and her.

I don't even want to know what I would do if my sister (who is kinda like your mother) tried to kill my fish. Probably destroy her entire wardrobe (it's the only thing she seems to like/take pride in).

Quote:
It's so infuriating

Do goldfish need airstones? Their mouths are always going a mile a minute and I dont know if its normal or they are lacking oxygen or what.
If you see any gasping at the surface that isn't associated with begging for food, then you should consider an air stone. Most of the time it is just them breathing and searching for food.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #36 
Tikibirds

I know Hawaii has a 6 month quarentine for dogs so I doubt I would ever move there, plus the whole reason I left alaska is because its so damn expensive. I was paying over 1,000 a month for 280 sq feet of space and this housed me, my chinchilla and her big cage, my dog and 23 bettas in various sized tanks. I think Hawaii is more expensive then alaska.

The goldies are not at the surface gasping - they do it everywhere else though. Usually midlevel or at the bottom.

Quote:
I don't even want to know what I would do if my sister (who is kinda like your mother) tried to kill my fish. Probably destroy her entire wardrobe (it's the only thing she seems to like/take pride in).
About 12 years ago she did flush my goldfish. She said it was diseased because his eyes had buldges. He was a black moore I do NOT trust her with any living critter of mine. SHe is so freakin clueless and ignorant about their care, it's unreal.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 AM   #37 
thekoimaiden

Guess I will never be living in either Hawaii or Alaska. Lower 48 for me!

She flushed a black moor? Gee. She does sound like someone I would let within yards of my animals. Do you just keep all of your animals in your room?

The labored breathing could be due to ammonia burns on the gills that happened a long time ago. How warm is the water? Goldfish do best in high oxygen waters. How far are they opening their mouths? Mine are always opening them a little bit (well more than bettas anyway). Also because they are always chewing on something.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #38 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Goldfish chew cud? :o
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #39 
Tikibirds

Yup - I have all but 2 bettas in my room and the chinchilla is in the hallway
I would think the water is about 70, maybe 68.

The goldfish open their mouths up quite wide
Old 03-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #40 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Goldfish chew cud? :o
Haha. Not exactly; they don't have a ruminant's digestive system. They are just always chewing on algae or my plants or the snails or trying to chew on the rocks. Goldfish try to eat everything all the time.

Quote:
Yup - I have all but 2 bettas in my room and the chinchilla is in the hallway
I would think the water is about 70, maybe 68.

The goldfish open their mouths up quite wide
Your room must be crowded (I say as I look around at the 60+ gallons of water I have in my room lol).

The goldfish could have having some trouble getting oxygen despite the low temp (probably due to gill damage). One way to increase oxygenation of the water is to lower the water level a bit and let the filter outflow splash a bit when it hits the water. I would try that before investing your money in something your sister should be doing.