Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #1 
Belated

A chunk of his tail just.... fell out? D:

Sodapop just can't catch a break. He's had ongoing tail biting issues for some time now, but he stopped over the last month or two and I hoped that was the end of it. But just now, I went to feed him, and he came to the surface, spun around quickly... and a huge chunk of his tail just fell off and sank to the bottom of the tank.

I freaked out, grabbed the net and fished it out, and it was about 1.5cm long and half a centimetre wide... the hole in his tail now almost reaches his body. What the heck? There's not way he could have bitten it out neatly, the cut is almost a perfect rectangle. D: D: His water is fine, I changed it (50%) two days ago, and it's cycled. Heated 5gal. What the heck could have caused this? There's nothing sharp in his tank and the filter is well baffled and on a low setting.

He was just starting to look pretty again. *sigh*

Should I pop him in AQ salt for a day or two, just in case of infection? He ended up with septicaemia last time he tailbit, so I'm nervous about it now.
Belated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #2 
Belated

Oh god, on a closer look he's kinda fuzzy and maybe a tiny bit pineconed. He's still eating. Help!

EDIT: Okay, panicked a bit, but on closer look he has a very slight whitish fuzz over his body, so I'm thinking slime coat? He's not really very pineconed, if at all - the fuzz makes it hard to tell. Either way, I'm putting him in 1tsp/gal of AQ salt in QT until I know better. (Though this seems to cover pretty much all the diseases it could be anyway). I'd still love advice on the tail thing. D:

There seems to be a whitish slime growing on his heater, I think it may be the culprit. Advice? Would this be a fungus, or an infection? (He's still quite fiesty/active and eating happily.)

Last edited by Belated; 03-27-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

i swear i scrutinize my bettas under a 100w lamp everyday and none of them have ever been even slightly "fuzzy", if they stay still ling wnough I can pick out the individual scales, and these are bettas that are deep bluish, do you used a lot of stress coat or something...? if not I'd be worried....can you take any photos?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #4 
Belated

No, it's definitely a fluffy, fuzzy sort of coating. The lighting is too bad to take photos (it's late at night here) but I will tomorrow.

I'm thinking a fungus or slime coat infection at the moment. The tail chunk still worries me, too. :s