Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #1 
Jlbfish

border collieI switched my betta to a nice 10 gallon yesterday but he has spent all y

I switched my betta to a nice 10 gallon yesterday but he has spent all yesterday and this morning flaring at the background, and his reflection. Not sure he is happy. I don't have a lot of plants in it yet. But what worries me is he hasn't stopped stressing! He was in a 3.5 gallon and liked his cave and slept in his log I'm wondering if it is too big :/ He has 2 caves in it and his log.

what would you do? wait? put him back in his cozy 3.5 gallon?

I know he needs adjustment time but I don't wan tho stress him out.

Oops I should say I moved everything from his old tank over. Filter/gravel/cave/plant/and log. I only added a new cave and 6.5 gallons of water.
Thanks
Jana
Jlbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #2 
Jlbfish

Sorry not sure how border collie got into the subject. LOL
Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #3 
EmilyN

I'd give him more time to settle in. Once he gets used to the new surroundings, he'll hopefully relax.
EmilyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #4 
SweetNightmare

It's been several days with my betta, and he still flares at the side occasionally, to keep his 'evil twin' in check. But once he's done showing his colors, he swims around and explores his tank, and is quite happy. Just keep an eye out for stress lines. Remember, they are kept side by side with other bettas often, and if you notice in stores, they eventually get used to their 'neighbors'. Eventually your fish will realize his evil twin is not a threat to his territory and calm down. Marginally. On the bright side, all of the 'competition' will allow his colors to show more beautifully. :) Something about the hormones.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #5 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlbfish View Post
I switched my betta to a nice 10 gallon yesterday but he has spent all yesterday and this morning flaring at the background, and his reflection. Not sure he is happy. I don't have a lot of plants in it yet. But what worries me is he hasn't stopped stressing! He was in a 3.5 gallon and liked his cave and slept in his log I'm wondering if it is too big :/ He has 2 caves in it and his log.

what would you do? wait? put him back in his cozy 3.5 gallon?

I know he needs adjustment time but I don't wan tho stress him out.

Oops I should say I moved everything from his old tank over. Filter/gravel/cave/plant/and log. I only added a new cave and 6.5 gallons of water.
Thanks
Jana

take the bordercollie out of the tank. there's nothing worse than the smell of wet dog.

leave the fish in the tank. he'll get used to it. they all freak out when you move them into a different tank.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #6 
Jlbfish

LOL he is acting like a bored crazy border collie. I removed the back drop he has never liked them. I added some plants but he is still swimming (obsessively) back and forth like a pacing dog.

I'm still tempted to move him back but will practice some patience. His other tank was definitely cozier.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Maybe the wide open spaces make him insecure. Try adding some more plants of silk or live variety that will cover the top section of the tank.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #8 
Jlbfish

I'm really second guessing the 10 gallon :( I can go get more plants n stuff but if it doesn't work out it is quite the investment on a chance. He was making bubble nests in his tank on my desk. I had to move him into the kitchen because I thought he possibly had fin rot. Since the kitchen no bubble nests and more flaring. I can't move the 10 gallon on my desk until it is leveled. If he was making bubble nests and not flaring in the 3.5 gallon maybe I should put him back. It wouldn't be hard to move him. Not sure how stressful it might be though.

Jana
Old 03-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'd give him two weeks.
If it doesn't work you should cycle it and put some different fish or another betta in, so it wouldn't be as much of a waste.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #10 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlbfish View Post
I'm really second guessing the 10 gallon :( I can go get more plants n stuff but if it doesn't work out it is quite the investment on a chance. He was making bubble nests in his tank on my desk. I had to move him into the kitchen because I thought he possibly had fin rot. Since the kitchen no bubble nests and more flaring. I can't move the 10 gallon on my desk until it is leveled. If he was making bubble nests and not flaring in the 3.5 gallon maybe I should put him back. It wouldn't be hard to move him. Not sure how stressful it might be though.

Jana

nah, leave him there. he'll love it in time.
mine swims back and forth, but he went right from the store jar to the 10gal. my other one was in a 1gal until i got him a 5gal and he is a big baby and freaked out for a week or so.

get some rocks and make some places for him to hide.
http://i.imgur.com/B3LqB.jpg
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote