Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #1 
lvandert

Popcorn x Smitty HM spawn

Well I came home from school today to find Popcorn dropping eggs in her breeder cage. I was going to release them tomorrow but I guess not. lol This is the second time I've had fishies be ready before I wanted them to be. Luckily I have the night off work so I let them out. There was some brief chasing but now their doing the dirty. I swear popcorn is releasing 30-50 eggs every go! There are so many when Smitty puts them in the nest he leave a tube of goobered eggs. Even Popcorn is helping puts eggs in the nest, she has swam down to the bottom, scooped them up and then put them IN Smitty's mouth its so dang cute! I'm going to do an artificial hatch though, once their done I'm going to remove the female and then the male. This is already bigger than my other spawns. I'm so excited!!! pics coming soon!
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #2 
lvandert

Ok well Smitty started chasing Popcorn away from the nest and I gave them another 5-10 mins or so to make sure they were done. I pulled Popcorn and have her resting in her original tank. Then I gently caught Smitty and have him floating in another tank I had set aside. Now my eggs are in the nest, alone in the tank. No one to eat them. I'm guessing anywhere from 100-200 eggs are in the nest and a few more could be floating around on the bottom. Last time I had fry in just over 24 hours so I'll know soon. The first two pics are mom and dad, and the rest are of the eggs. The last one was after I pulled dad. Seeing how there is no dad to worry about seeing the eggs I'm going to turn the light off tonight. I know this went kinda fast but my girl was starting to take some abuse so I got her out while she still had all of her fins and most of her scales. Last time I left Smitty he ate all of the eggs overnight so he doesn't get a second chance.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #3 
betta lover1507

omg popcorn is adorable. good luck and congrats
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #4 
bettasusa

Congrats on the spawn! Please keep us updated on the artificial hatching. I myself never tried this method and am curious to see how it turns out.
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #5 
xjenuhfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
Even Popcorn is helping puts eggs in the nest, she has swam down to the bottom, scooped them up and then put them IN Smitty's mouth its so dang cute!
You've got kissing fishes!
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #6 
lvandert

it was kissin fishes :) Smitty is depressed but he'll get over it...I have cupped the nest and have it tapped to the side of my tank. the water level in the cup is level with the water so it'll stay warm. This way I can do little water changes without disturbing the eggs too much.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #7 
MrVampire181

I had to leave a nest with eggs without a male today as well. A first for both of us lol. Fish from Sherol are always awesome so I can't wait to see what they produce!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #8 
lvandert

um wow... I did an egg count today, and I have about 450 eggs (giver or take 10). Looks like I'm finally going to get a decent chance at getting some to adult hood. The picture I attached it how I counted. Every color represents 20 eggs and some colors I had to use twice. I'm pretty sure I missed some but thats still a lot of eggs.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #9 
tpocicat

WOW!!! Even of only half of them hatch, that is an awsome number.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #10 
lvandert

I know. I'm starting to wonder if I have enough room :P I may end up with some in the 5 gal as well as the 20 gal. If only I could convince someone (my bf) I need another tank...