Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #11 
MadameDesu

:O

That would be great! I don't think people are trying to hurt their fish, I just think that most of them don't know how to take care of them. Or (even worse) think that they do and won't listen to other advice :S
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:35 AM   #12 
Sandrilene

Some of my friends look at me like i`m nuts when they see my betta in its 5g tank but then they go on to say things like they can live in small bowls and how much work it is these people gave up on fish though so I don`t mention how much easier the larger set ups are. All you need to do is look at craigslist to see its not just fish people don`t care enough about tons of puppies dogs and cats up there that people are wanting to get rid of. all pets should be treated better by humans in general.
Sandrilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #13 
cp6445

Madame- Educating others is the best ammunition, so if you can get Bombalurina's pamplets and spread the knowledge in any other way that would be great. Taking in the unwanted fish would be awesome! But of course, you will be limited as to how many you can take.

For your friend with the goldfish in particular, is there any chance you could make an excuse to keep the fish for a week for her? Spring break is coming up, right? Any chance you can keep her fish? After a week of your care, you may be able to prove the difference of good care to her... Just think, if you return her fish happy and swimming and in a clean environment, it may convince her she's wrong.

Good luck!
cp6445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Sadly I doubt a week of good care in that small tank would make a difference to a damaged Goldie. :/
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #15 
MadameDesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp6445 View Post
Madame- Educating others is the best ammunition, so if you can get Bombalurina's pamplets and spread the knowledge in any other way that would be great. Taking in the unwanted fish would be awesome! But of course, you will be limited as to how many you can take.

For your friend with the goldfish in particular, is there any chance you could make an excuse to keep the fish for a week for her? Spring break is coming up, right? Any chance you can keep her fish? After a week of your care, you may be able to prove the difference of good care to her... Just think, if you return her fish happy and swimming and in a clean environment, it may convince her she's wrong.

Good luck!
I'm afraid my chance has passed. She was away this weekend and had her roommate take care of the fish. Her roommate fed her a little less than usual, which is good. Still, it probably would have been better to have fasted him, fed him a pea, and changed his water ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Sadly I doubt a week of good care in that small tank would make a difference to a damaged Goldie. :/
It's not even a tank ... it's one of those big 1 gal vases. It looks like a big wine glass actually. I'd have to be doing water changes every day as I hear goldies have a pretty substantial bio-load.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #16 
Sivan

You can try to organize a floor event with your RA or RD to educate people on the proper care of aquatic animals. I know when I lived on campus that free food would attract people in and then they'd be trapped into staying. I would also ask about being able to post informational flyers on your community bulletin board with information and maybe helpful websites for those who own fish.

A huge misconception is that these animals are not intelligent or aware of pain, making them less than a typical large pet such as a guinea pig or cat. Education can go a long way.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #17 
MadameDesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
You can try to organize a floor event with your RA or RD to educate people on the proper care of aquatic animals. I know when I lived on campus that free food would attract people in and then they'd be trapped into staying. I would also ask about being able to post informational flyers on your community bulletin board with information and maybe helpful websites for those who own fish.

A huge misconception is that these animals are not intelligent or aware of pain, making them less than a typical large pet such as a guinea pig or cat. Education can go a long way.
I'm actually thinking about approaching the Dean of Students to talk about this. I know that if it's just me, it'll be hard to get info out. It may be a little difficult though, because I'm not sure if the official policy allows any pets, or whether it just allows fish.
It'd be great if they presented this info to first year students!