Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #1 
MadameDesu

Vacations and Bettas

These types of questions probably get asked a lot, but what is the best way to travel with a betta?

I have two trips coming up:
I'm going home this weekend, so I just plan on leaving her at school. What should I do before I leave?

Next week is Easter Break (4-5 days), and I have to take her with me because they unplug all of your stuff in your dorm, including my heater and filter
But I'm also going to a relatives house for easter break, so I'd take Rosie home, and then get her set up, and leave her there.

I hope she'll be alright ... I feel like such a nervous parent, lol.

-MadameDesu
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #2 
Fieldz

They UNPLUG? Wow, thats sad...
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #3 
Zero186

That's sucks that they unplug for breaks. Now I'm glad my school doesn't do that. For the weekend as long as the heater and filter are on for the weekend he will be fine without food for 2 days. I normally don't feed mine one day a week as it is. For the long weekend you could take the tank home, but what size is it and is it cycled? If it's uncycled and under 3G it would be stressful but possible to move. A cycled tank and larger could be more of a pain.
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #4 
MadameDesu

Yeah, they unplug :/

My tank is an uncycled 3 gallon.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Don't know where you are, but would keeping him warm in along car ride in a cup be something to consider? It's still pretty cold most places.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #6 
MadameDesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Don't know where you are, but would keeping him warm in along car ride in a cup be something to consider? It's still pretty cold most places.
Yes, I was planning on doing something like that when I took her home for easter break. Last time we transported her, I stupid left her in her tank -___-
I'm just wondering what kind of preparations I'd need to make before I leave her this weekend (water changes, feeding, etc.)
Old 03-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'd do a 100% and maybe slightly more than normal feeding.. 2 days is nothing to worry about. Maybe a double check that she can't get stuck in the filter while you're gone.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #8 
MadameDesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I'd do a 100% and maybe slightly more than normal feeding.. 2 days is nothing to worry about. Maybe a double check that she can't get stuck in the filter while you're gone.
I usually do a 100% every week anyways, so I think I'll do it the day before I leave so I can make sure she acclimates.
She's left her filter alone for the most part. I think she finally realized that she should avoid the sucky bit
Old 03-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #9 
xjenuhfur

I'm going away for a few days for Easter as well, but my dorms don't unplug or anything. So Im going to leave Goblin here. But I would take some gallon jugs of water for set up when you get home, so that she has old water she's acclimated too.
She'll be okay for a few days without food. And I leave Goblin by himself every weekend with no ill affects. If anything he's happy to see me when I get back on Sunday. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote