Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Should I get an Oscar or Angelfish for my 55 gallon tank?
Definitely get one or two Oscars 1 7.69%
Definitely get Some nice Angels 12 92.31%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #21 
Philnominal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Well my family has bugged me for so long about getting bigger fish. My guess it that they'd like to see bigger fish mostly because they think of fish as decor rather than fish, another being that does much more than swim in a tank.

My 55 gallon tank isn't very high but is also not narrow. The width of the tank from the side view is not like most 55 gallons I have seen. Its wider and almost looks custom made. I'm sure an Oscar will fit in here. I will get rid of the rest of the fish in the tank currently when I do decide to get it. I am getting a bigger tank soon...possibly in a few months because of my need for bigger fish. It's not oly my family's idea of wanting bigger fish. I like the idea of having solitary fish that know wo their source of food is. I'm tired of cattle fish like neons and platties, guppies that do better in groups. Also they end up being very expensive in the end.

So what other fish can bewitch an Oscar? I am hoping someone can tell me the name to those really colorful cichlids. I saw an Oscar with some other really colorful cichlids before and they were perfectly okay.
Posted via Mobile Device
Measure the tank out, dimensions are needed. Oscars get huge. There are other cichlids that would fit a 55 gallon MUCH better then Oscars, especially if they will be alone. even if it is 18inches wide and 4ft long think about how much room a fish that can easily reach over a foot would fit in there.

Rotkiel Severums, Green Terrors, Red Devils, Blue Acara, Firemouth, Convicts, Jack Dempseys are just a few that come to mind. Plan for the tank you have now, if you upgrade then you can upgrade your fish too.

Also, check out your poll. 9 to 1, Angels for Oscars. You asked our advice, it is up to you to listen or not.

Last edited by Philnominal; 03-28-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Philnominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #22 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You could put in one (maybe 2) blood red parrot cichlids. They are much more attractive IMO than oscars, and I head they are quite comical. I'd love to have em :3
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #23 
bettalover2033

@Philnominal: I understand that I did ask for advise and very well will take it. The whole point is that I want a big fish. Angels are nice fish and can live together nicely with little to no problems.

I wasn't ignoring the poll results. I honestly think that I am going to get a few angels because they will be a nice addition to my tank and will be more appropriate for the aquarium. Also I didn't say that I was getting an Oscar. I want to make sure that when I do get one I can do it the right way. I know that oscars can really be some destructive fish and don't do well with ornaments in the tank. Also their bio load is ridiculous.

I am planning on getting a bigger tank soon so the next tank that I do get will be for an Oscar.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #24 
Philnominal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
@Philnominal: I understand that I did ask for advise and very well will take it. The whole point is that I want a big fish. Angels are nice fish and can live together nicely with little to no problems.

I wasn't ignoring the poll results. I honestly think that I am going to get a few angels because they will be a nice addition to my tank and will be more appropriate for the aquarium. Also I didn't say that I was getting an Oscar. I want to make sure that when I do get one I can do it the right way. I know that oscars can really be some destructive fish and don't do well with ornaments in the tank. Also their bio load is ridiculous.

I am planning on getting a bigger tank soon so the next tank that I do get will be for an Oscar.
sorry i must have misread somewhere.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #25 
bettalover2033

It's alright. Your looking at the best interest if the fish itself not my needs. That is what I really like to see. I understand because I'm the same way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #26 
Philnominal

Yep, this isn't a forum on how to please people but fish lol.

I just realized you said yout 50 gallon is wider rather then tall. You might still want to take those measurements as angelfish need height. Prefered height is 20 inches + of water but 18 is the minimal. Leopard angels could probably handle a little less but not that much.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #27 
bettalover2033

Well its 55 gallons it makes a little difference, but not much.

Though the average longfinned angel can fit since some I've seen the size 6 inches in length and 10 inches in height.

Though to REALLY be sure ill still take measurements.
Posted via Mobile Device