Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #1 
bettafish15

Arrow Mom's Betta Girl is Ill!

So, my mom recently lost a male betta, and so a couple weeks ago I let her have a girl she loved out of my sorority to go in her 5g in her office. Up until yesterday she was mostly fine, it was just the poop hanging.

Eating well, curious, all that. Buuuut, mum noticed her poop was hanging out of her and she was at the top with a swollen tummy and stress stripes. "SBD?" I thought. Nope! Because she can swim down/up with her own control. So, now she's in a 1g filled halfway. Here are the stats, pictures at the end:

Housing
What size is your tank? 5g
What temperature is your tank? 84
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Indeed!
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Red Ramhorn Snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta flakes/pellets and rare occasion some freeze-dried bloodworm. I thought it could be the flakes causing it, so I had my mom not feed her for a couple days, but to no avail, her tummy is still big.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Before all this, it was once a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-60%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime since I'm out of Nutrafin.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No test kit, can't afford to cough up the $30.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Tummy is swollen and pale, poop hanging out of her, but poop is normal-ish color. Not white or anything, just thin at parts. Also, her fins are getting choppy, but it could be the filter, I'm not sure. Her fins were never this bad even when she was in the sorority.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't changed much, but she isn't as active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Day before yesterday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes! I have her in epsom salt 2 tsp/gal.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? About a year.

Pictures:

This is her normally, when she was healthy and before I moved her out of the sorority:

PLEASE HELP! My mom is ready to give up on fish since they keep dying on her :/ She thinks her tank might be cursed D:
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Good that you got her in QT and in Epsom salt-what about tannins....did you add any-if not and you have a tannin source-add some....and get the water temp down some....84F is too high for a sick fish...slowly lower it to the 78-79F range for now...

How did she clean the tank after the male passed away

The female is 1 year old or you have had her for 1 year....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Ah, I have some IAL, I knew I was forgetting something... I tossed a sprig of hornwort in there too, since it withstands the epsom.

She isn't in 84 degree water now because the 1g I cannot heat, so it's right beside the 5g wrapped in beside it to leech off that warmth. I'm going to stick a thermometer in there in a minute so I can moniter the temp, it's likely 76-78... She does keep her office warm though, so I wont know for sure until I toss the therm. in there.

After the male passed away, I did a 90% water change and once the temp was right I put the new girl in. I guess I should have cleaned it thoroughly, but I wanted to get the new girl in ASAP since my mom was upset and I had to leave for work. :/

The female is about one year, I got her from a Canadian breeder so she would have been about 4-5 months when I got her.

I should add that she's in 100% clean water now, I didnt let much tank water get in the all-new water I set up for her in the 1g yesterday, and I just did a 80% change in her little tank today.

I don't have any meds at all, nor access to them, so I guess just daily 100% changes and increasing the epsom salt dosage every couple days is all I can do? :/ I feel so bad for the betta and my mom >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Good that you got her in QT and in Epsom salt-what about tannins....did you add any-if not and you have a tannin source-add some....and get the water temp down some....84F is too high for a sick fish...slowly lower it to the 78-79F range for now...

How did she clean the tank after the male passed away

The female is 1 year old or you have had her for 1 year....
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote