Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #1 
StarBetta

Oh great, another sick fish :(

So yep, ANOTHER sick fish :'( I just saw Captain America on his side in the corner of the tank with some popeye on his right eye. I had turned off the filter because it seemed like it was pushing him to the corner. I noticed it when I tapped the tank and he struggled in a weird pose to get air (like a wiggle) just like Rainbow. I'll fill out the form.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Ranges from 73-76
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? N/A

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Depends on how busy I am. Usually would be twice a week, but this week I didnt have enough time but I will do one today.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Popeye on his right eye
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Leaning (But not fully on his side) and swimming up for air strangely (wiggling, which is NOT normal for C.A.)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I actually noticed the popeye a few days ago, but I litterally DIDNT have a chance to post it and I noticed the leaning a few minutes ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I don't want to put any wrong medicine so No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He has had parasites before.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him in November, but I'm not sure how old he is.

Please answer as soon as you read this.
Ps: Rainbow is still sick but looks like he's improving VERY VERY slowly. Weird thing is that he never loses his pretty color!
Ps 2: I only have a 1/2 gallon tank thats empty but isn't that too complicated to measure and everything to put the right amount of medicine?

Thanks. I hope I can heal them!
StarBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

When its just one eye-usually that is injury related, however, with the buoyancy issue and the eye edema.....I would go ahead and start a 14 day Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) tannins, water changes and good nutrition.

Qt him in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain the temp in the 77-78F range, cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat/humidity-be sure and attach the QT so it doesn't sink.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have some-either IAL or dried Oak leaf. Let this steep for at least 30min to start the tannins releasing and salt to dissolve

Using this premixed treatment water make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today

Tomorrow start 50% daily-the premixed Tx water should look darker every day and this is what you want.

If you have any floating plants like water lettuce add this to the QT to help make him feel secure and don't worry if any of the tannin bit get in the water

Nutrition-a good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals-if you have access to mosquito larva offer several rinsed for one meal a day....

Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #3 
StarBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
When its just one eye-usually that is injury related, however, with the buoyancy issue and the eye edema.....I would go ahead and start a 14 day Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) tannins, water changes and good nutrition.

Qt him in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain the temp in the 77-78F range, cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat/humidity-be sure and attach the QT so it doesn't sink.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have some-either IAL or dried Oak leaf. Let this steep for at least 30min to start the tannins releasing and salt to dissolve

Using this premixed treatment water make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today

Tomorrow start 50% daily-the premixed Tx water should look darker every day and this is what you want.

If you have any floating plants like water lettuce add this to the QT to help make him feel secure and don't worry if any of the tannin bit get in the water

Nutrition-a good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals-if you have access to mosquito larva offer several rinsed for one meal a day....

Good luck....
Thank you so much! Since I don't have some of those items I will get them after school tomorrow and treat him right away
Old 03-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #4 
StarBetta

Uh oh. I just realized he has popeye on BOTH eyes, but mostly on his right.