Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #31 
Sena Hansler

patience, constant "I'm here" things. feed them, have your hand in the cage, water them, don't touch! respect for the bird = trust in the bird for you = tamer.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #32 
betta lover1507

if am close to them they bite me. and i didn't get the last part, what?
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #33 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
if am close to them they bite me. and i didn't get the last part, what?
It will be harder because you have two birds who appear to be bonded to one another. Have you tried the touch training yet? That is the fastest and best technique to tame a bird.

Do they like millet spray? Most cockatiels adore it, if they like it try using a long piece of millet and holding the very tip of the stem so you are not too close when they're eating it. Once they feel more confident with that move your hand closer and closer until you can have your hand about 4 inches from them. Make sure that's the only time they get millet so they are excited about it. At first they might not realize what it is but it's a birds nature to beak something near their face and they'll soon realize they love it.

Make sure not to over due it, if they are doing really good give them a break for 30 minutes or an hour so you're stopping on good terms. A lot of people(I've even done this) will get excited that the bird is doing good and keep pushing until they gone past the birds comfort level, this will break the birds trust with you. If this does happen take your hand back to where the bird is ok and do it correct one or two times then give them a break.

Make sure to never end on a bad note, you always want to end good because it makes a big impression on your bird. Sometimes it helps to talk softly or whistle little songs while training cockatiels.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #34 
Sena Hansler

some people use the method that I don't agree with... is "forcing" them to be fine with you, a method of grabbing and holding until they stop biting and freaking out. I don't recommend it, the bird can get hurt and so can you! plus bonded pairs are harder to tame, and each bird will be different for different people.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #35 
betta lover1507

oh okay, i don't have a millet spray or a clicker. i don't have anything they could bite on, besides the part of a paint brush where no paint goes.
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #36 
Sakura8

*popping in* Crazy. My dad's cousin lives in Morgan Hill, too. o.O
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #37 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
oh okay, i don't have a millet spray or a clicker. i don't have anything they could bite on, besides the part of a paint brush where no paint goes.
You can use a chop stick, I use a shish kabob stick. And do you have a petco around you? he clickers are really cheap, like $2 or $3. Look around the house for change and see if you have enough. I'm not sure what you could use in place of a clicker because you want it to be a consistent noise.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #38 
Sena Hansler

some glass juice bottles have a clicky cap xD drink and a clicker? bahaha. :p -random-
Old 03-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #39 
kfryman

Like Snapple!

Yeah that girl last year went to a school Luke 2 minutes away from my house then moved to Morgan Hill. I guess they found a pair of handcuffs out there too. I wanna live out in the country away from all this, so sketchy. Hope they at least find her.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #40 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Like Snapple!

Yeah that girl last year went to a school Luke 2 minutes away from my house then moved to Morgan Hill. I guess they found a pair of handcuffs out there too. I wanna live out in the country away from all this, so sketchy. Hope they at least find her.
I hope so to, but I'm not sure if they will :(

I Live pretty south in San Jose, and can walk to the hill so it's nice. Still has that suburb feel to it though. My best friends backyard goes up the hill XD We see cows behind her house, coyotes, deer, turkeys, quail and they've seen a mountain lion.