Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #61 
Sena Hansler

Savannah's hopeful spawn will be pirhanas then yikes... I should collect jars once they've hatched xD
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #62 
Pitluvs

My local breeder leaves her females in 55g sororities, sometimes males stay in there too as she doesn't remove until there is aggression. :) When I plan to breed, I will be using the same kind of set up, large sororities and jarring males. But when I breed, mine won't be pets... but breeders. I think a lot of people let the pet side of their emotions come through on breeder subjects :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #63 
Sena Hansler

I picked Savannah to be a breeder :) I picked another gal and 2 males for the same reason :o and since I'll have another tank that is bigger, everything'll work out fine if either male'll breed, and same with the gals :3 there's a breeder near me too!!! I may get females from her, if she has colors I want, and even different tails :o like HM, CT, etc... they'll be breeders but they're still pets to me last time, when I had some fry with spine deformity they got fed to other fish >.> no smashing. freezing. etc.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #64 
LittleBettaFish

Someone mentioned a domesticated cat could not take on a wild rat. We have brushtail possums here, which are aggressive, in possession of sharp claws and about the size of the average cat. They are in our roof and they tear strips off of each other on a regular basis (the noise they make is like a hissing sound).

Our older cat has fought and killed several of these brushtail possums when he used to refuse to come in at night. Now he's older his possum hunting days are gone.

There's a video floating around on youtube of a cat successfully attacking an alligator. Cats are scarier than dogs when the mood takes them. I think its the sharp claws and teeth coupled with the fact they can easily jump high enough to latch onto your face.

In the photos where the fish are out of water the breeder was probably using it to get a clear shot. I've noticed a few overseas breeders on AB seem to regularly take photographs of their bettas out of water (usually alongside a ruler).

As for overbreeding, this farm probably sells wholesale as well. They have to have a constant supply of stock to fill orders. I'm doubting that a few private hobbyists is going to be enough to fully support their business.

I wonder if the runty looking fish are going to be culled. Some of them looked rather deformed and unhealthy. I couldn't imagine wasting the space on housing them when you have hundreds of others.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #65 
Sena Hansler

If I started breeding, and did it year round, I could supply the store here with healthier bettas, and stop the disease in blue fish from reaching that store! He'd also be saving money :) I like the owner....just not the supplier.