Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Normal or Sick?
Normal! He's completely fine! Take a chill pill! 0 0%
Sick. Poor fish! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #1 
XxXWeLuvBettaFishXxX

Unhappy Sick (?) betta fish, urgent, please help!

Ok so I have this one betta I got from PetCo about 7 months ago, he was doing well up until a few months ago, about in December. Anyway, he has this blackish stuff in between his scales, it's like his scales are "outlined" in black. He is a red veiltail by the way, so I dont think he is a "pineapple" betta (where it is a yellow betta and the scales are outlined in black). At first it started up near his head and I wasnt too worried. I thought it was just some natural colorings. He looked fine, at least. Then, when I checked today, it had spread a bit, up until his middle. His color of body is darkening along with the outlines. It also looks like, faintly, very faintly, there is something whitish on his sides up near his gills????? He is normal in every other way. He starts swimming around whenever I enter the room, he LOVES his pellets, he likes to hide and swim around. His gills do not look inflamed. ALso sometimes he opens his mouth really wide in the water and shuts it, like a yawning motion, occasionally. Is this normal too? I will try to get a picture soon but for now,
there is no pics.

Other info that might be useful........
Size of housing: 1/2 gal. or 1. gal--not sure
Filter? No, but we are planning to get one sometime this month
Heating? Yes--But I am not sure if it works because whenever I stick my finger in it feels like 68-70 degrees Fahrenheit. (Zoo Med conditioner, btw)
Food: Wardley's Betta pellets
If you have any other info requests please just ask me I am willing to provide as much info about him to get him "OK" again if he is indeed sick.

Also, i am sure it is not dropsy because on an overhead view there is no pinecone scales, which is a main indicator of dropsy. He also does not look depressed. He is wayy to ative to be depressed.

Does anyone know if the black outlining thing is normal or not???????
PLEASE HELP ME! The last thing I want is for my little baby to die.

Please help...its urgent...I really need to know, #1 if this Black Outlining is Natural or Not. Any suggestions for the whitish thing will be willingly accepted, although its REALLY faint and can only be sighted upon really close inspection.
As for pix....I will try to post some soon, but for now, I do not have my hands on any. :(

Thanks, all suggestions will be Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
XxXWeLuvBettaFishXxX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta fish, black, outlining, sick