Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #1 
atomicjade

New to the forums and bettas

Hello everyone! My name is Shannon and as the topic title suggests, a newbie around these parts :). One evening I was hanging out at my neighbors and saw that she had three really cool fish bowls lit by a single LED hanging over them. She showed me her fish in them -all bettas- and I was just awestruck at how beautiful they were and yet how different and unique each one was. All three had distinct personalities to match as well! We appreciated them for quite a bit, and I was even more surprised to find out that she had bought them and their little abodes from Wal-Mart. Could you really blame me to just take a look next time I was there?

Enter: Epic. He was so gorgeous and has such a daring courageous little personality I couldn't NOT take him. I bought one of those modernized little bowls and happily trundled home.

He seemed pretty content in his new home, and after a few days he made an impressive little bubble nest which was extremely cool to see. But I just wasn't satisfied with the bowl. The shape of it distorted how he looked and the water dirtied easily. I've had various other kinds of aquariums in the past and it never made complete sense to me how -any- fish could live happily in a 1/4 gal of stagnant water anyway.

So as of yesterday, Epic has a new home. I bought him a 2 gallon Fluval SPEC off of Amazon and as of yet am VERY impressed with the tank. I plan on writing a full review on it after I've had it for a little bit of time (and I set it up how I want, it is currently adorned with whatever I got from Wal-Mart) but out of all the tanks I've seen none have struck me the way this one has. First off it has a built in overflow and a three stage filtration, complete with biomedia and carbon encased in a very thick but porous sponge-like material. The dimensions are set like a column and the edges are decorated by brushed aluminum accents -very cool- and the glass to the overflow is frosted so the mechanisms aren't visible. It also has a very nice pump with a small powerhead on which you can adjust the strength. I have it on the lowest and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it on constantly (bet you guys could help me with that!) but it really pushes when its on the high setting. As for the light? About 20 LEDs that radiate full spectrum (can't remember how much power but its significant for the size) and let me tell you it is a beautiful thing. This tank combined with the filtration system, pump, and lighting honestly comes pretty well prepared for a mini-reef, if one were to so desire. However I'm going to utilize it for growing some nice greenery for Mr. Epic instead :).

As if my post wasn't long enough, at the very least I will post a couple photos I took of my little guy last night fresh in his new aquarium. I still have yet to discovery the finery of betta photography but its better than nothing. Mostly I was curious... I was told that he is a Crowntail Betta, and judging from photos that seems to be correct. But I was wondering, how big is he going to get? From what I can tell from a sticky he is just a multi-colored wild type, is that correct? Tell me about betta shows... how do they work, what is judged, etc? I don't think that I would partake myself but I've shown horses and dogs and wonder how you'd judge a fish. At first I was feeding him the pellets that came with the water tabs but last night I got him some bloodworms and boy does he love them. My question is how many should I feed him, how often, and should I feed anything else? Last note... I've noticed the red specks on his head have increased and grown darker since I've had him. What does this mean? Or is he just changing color?

Ok seriously, I'm done!

atomicjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #2 
tpocicat

What a lovely crowntail! Welcome to the forum.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicjade View Post

As if my post wasn't long enough, at the very least I will post a couple photos I took of my little guy last night fresh in his new aquarium. I still have yet to discovery the finery of betta photography but its better than nothing. Mostly I was curious... I was told that he is a Crowntail Betta, and judging from photos that seems to be correct. But I was wondering, how big is he going to get?
He is indeed a CT. Depending on his genetics, he could get a little over 2 inches. :)

From what I can tell from a sticky he is just a multi-colored wild type, is that correct?
He's definitely a multi, but I don't know if he is a wild-type...post another photo in a week or os.

Tell me about betta shows... how do they work, what is judged, etc? I don't think that I would partake myself but I've shown horses and dogs and wonder how you'd judge a fish.
There are a bunch of different requirements, including perfect finnage and colour. :) Typically, a petshop fish isn't going to do well compared to a breeder fish. Check out aquabid.com for some stunning examples. :)

At first I was feeding him the pellets that came with the water tabs but last night I got him some bloodworms and boy does he love them. My question is how many should I feed him, how often, and should I feed anything else?
Bloodworms are great as a treat but fed too often they can lead to problems. Pellets should be his staple diet, 3-6 per day depending on his size, spread out over two meals. Bloodworms twice a week as a treat. :)

Last note... I've noticed the red specks on his head have increased and grown darker since I've had him. What does this mean? Or is he just changing color?
Bettas do change colour according to environmental stressors. :) Typically, they get darker and more vivid. Bettas in poor conditions frequently look quite washed out. It is especially noticeable in females, who can look really pale and stripy in shops, then get home and develop amazing deep colours. :)
Welcome to the forum, and I hope you enjoy betta keeping! :) What kind of heater are you using? :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #4 
lvandert

What a boy! Epic is a cute name. Welcome to the forum. We're a wealth of information. The red specs darkening are probably just a color change, or his true colors shining through. They tend to do that when happy, especially if he's a marble or multi color. Aquabid is a very good place to see show quality fish but do be ware their are some BEAUTIFUL fish on there and after a while it becomes hard to resist them Definitely keep him on the pellets and just do maybe one day a week where he gets blood worms, I'm doing the same thing with mosquito larva. Welcome to the betta craze, It'll take a few weeks to take over
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #5 
atomicjade

Thank you everyone for the kind words and advice! Bombalurina, when you say he could grow to 2 inches... does that measurement cover the tail too or is it strictly the body length? Also what are the defining features that may (or may not) become apparent within the next few weeks that would indicate whether he is a wild-type? If he is, does that mean he was actually caught from the wild or is it just a description?

I'm definitely going to cut back on the bloodworms, no wonder he loves them so much. Are all betta pellets the same or is there a specific brand/type that is deemed "better" than most?

I'm very happy to hear that his color changing is a positive thing! He's already building more bubble nests in his new tank, and they're holding up nicely despite the filter flow and nothing other than the glass to attach it to. I can definitely see how they become addicting... I have already kind of peeked around at the showy bettas and $25 is an amount I'd scoff at for some of them!

Oh and as far as my heater... I live in Florida, I don't need one. :P LOL

But seriously, even though the tank stays pretty stable at 81, I was planning on purchasing a small heater that could fit into the chamber where the filter is just to be sure. I'm also going to give him a sand substrate and live plants, however we're moving across town in less than a week so it seemed sort of silly to start setting it all up now.
atomicjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #6 
PhilipPhish

What a beautiful betta!

Welcome to the forum!
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicjade View Post
Thank you everyone for the kind words and advice! Bombalurina, when you say he could grow to 2 inches... does that measurement cover the tail too or is it strictly the body length?
Just body length. :)

Also what are the defining features that may (or may not) become apparent within the next few weeks that would indicate whether he is a wild-type? If he is, does that mean he was actually caught from the wild or is it just a description?
It's more to do with his colour than features...as you've noticed, his colour has changed slightly, and it may well continue to do so over the next little while. :)
Wild-type is just a description of colouring (I don't think yours is a wild-type, though - good image wild-type betta). The only wild-caught betta splendens you get are plakats (true wild-types in both colour and form). The crazy tails and colours we get these days are the result of lots of breeding.

I'm definitely going to cut back on the bloodworms, no wonder he loves them so much. Are all betta pellets the same or is there a specific brand/type that is deemed "better" than most?
There are a couple of brands that always seem to come out on top - Omega One Betta Buffet and New Life Spectrum (I use their cichlid pellets and they are great) are both extremely popular. You basically want a pellet where the first ingredient is fishmeal or something else meaty, rather than cornmeal, with a high protein content. :)

I'm very happy to hear that his color changing is a positive thing! He's already building more bubble nests in his new tank, and they're holding up nicely despite the filter flow and nothing other than the glass to attach it to. I can definitely see how they become addicting... I have already kind of peeked around at the showy bettas and $25 is an amount I'd scoff at for some of them!
Warning: looking at showy bettas may cause a defecit in bank balance.

Oh and as far as my heater... I live in Florida, I don't need one. :P LOL
I live in Australia, and I use one. :p

But seriously, even though the tank stays pretty stable at 81, I was planning on purchasing a small heater that could fit into the chamber where the filter is just to be sure.
I think that is a really good idea. During summer here my room is generally so warm that the heater automatically turns off, but you never know - a freakish cold snap (which we seemed to have all summer this year) can send the temperature plummeting, and a heater with a thermostat will prevent the fish from being shocked by the temperature change. :)
I'm sorry I can't recommend a good small brand, but I'm sure other USA members will be able to. :)

I'm also going to give him a sand substrate and live plants, however we're moving across town in less than a week so it seemed sort of silly to start setting it all up now.
I bet he's going to absolutely love it when it's all set up! Good luck with the move! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #8 
Jessicatm137

He is epic!
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote