Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #1 
CasperandSunny

Unhappy What is wrong with my Betta, Casper? Stress, Ick, Shock? Video Included!

I have a betta fish, Casper, and I just got him about three days ago from Petco. They had a deal going on, 2 crowntails for $3.98. I couldn't help myself. Well the one I kept is acting very strange and I'm really worried. When I first brought him home, he was doing great, I moved him into a large mason jar for about 2 days, until I could get his tank fully set up. I just got his tank yesterday, a 1 gallon triangle tank from walmart. I got him bloodworms for food, some treatment for his tank for chlorine and ammonia. Well, I put him in there with a fantail goldfish and they seemed fine. About an hour after introducing him into the tank he starts to swim erratically. Darting across the tank, putting his face in the corner of the tank and just going crazy in the corner. He will float to the top of the water and just stay there, letting his fins just fall under and beside him, looking extremely depressed. He will put his face in the rocks basically floating vertically in the rocks the lay over on top of the rock and just lay there, looking dead. He is breathing very fast, almost like he has anxiety. I think he has been eating, but I can not be 100% sure. I have now taken the goldfish out of the tank to see if he is just stressed out from him, but it has been several hours since then and he is still acting the way you see in the video. I am not sure what is wrong with him, he was perfectly fine in the cup from petco and in the mason jar I had him in for those two days. I am really worried about my poor beautiful Casper. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with him and what I may be able to do. Please respond promptly as I am afraid he may not make it much longer. Thanks. Abby
CasperandSunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #2 
CasperandSunny

Video Link

Here is the link to the video of him, sorry it is a bit grainy, best I could do in a hurry to upload it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rWdL...GIQ4dY0IRw4%3D
Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #3 
lvandert

Well first of I would unplug the filter. You dont need it with the little tanks, that and the water on the top is being disturbed to much for a betta, they like calm water. I'd lower the water level to half full so he doesn't have to struggle so far to get air, and I know it may be weird but it might be the rocks. I know my boys all start flaring at those because they can see themselves, I suggest some gravel over the top. Next I would try treating with aquarium salt, and some stress coat. Both have dosages for healing fins on the back of the container. He may be trying to itch himself on the rocks, which would be a sign of parasites, which the aq salt and stress coat will help clear up. Also make sure you pre-treat your water in a gallon jug before adding it to the tank. Also with him being sick I would recommend at least a 50% water change every day.

Now the goldies are a completely different story. They'll need a 55 gal, eventually. They like to out grow their tanks so thats a whole nother can of beans I wont go into :P
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #4 
lvandert

Oh and Bettas should be alone if in a tank under 5 gallons, unless its one or two little cherry shrimps or possibly a really small snail. I currently have the same tank wit just one girl and a snail. I do a 100 percent water change once a week. I also have two live plants in the tank to cut down on ammonia levels.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #5 
aurasoulful

He's looking very distressed indeed. Good that you took the goldie out. Ammonia may have built up fast in that tank. It needs a 100% water change at least once a week for only one betta. What's your tank's temperature? Please change the water to very simular to like temp for now. He definitely needs it. Goldies require at least 20 per fish because their bio-loads are epic. Betta fish and goldies cannot be kept together. I'm sorry.

And what Ivan said.. The rocks.. Too reflective. Try getting a dark substrate. It's much less stress inducing and will make his colors stand out more. + A billion to Ivan again. The filter may be too much and the airstone isn't necessary.

Last edited by aurasoulful; 03-30-2012 at 08:41 PM.
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #6 
CasperandSunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
Well first of I would unplug the filter. You dont need it with the little tanks, that and the water on the top is being disturbed to much for a betta, they like calm water. I'd lower the water level to half full so he doesn't have to struggle so far to get air, and I know it may be weird but it might be the rocks. I know my boys all start flaring at those because they can see themselves, I suggest some gravel over the top. Next I would try treating with aquarium salt, and some stress coat. Both have dosages for healing fins on the back of the container. He may be trying to itch himself on the rocks, which would be a sign of parasites, which the aq salt and stress coat will help clear up. Also make sure you pre-treat your water in a gallon jug before adding it to the tank. Also with him being sick I would recommend at least a 50% water change every day.

Now the goldies are a completely different story. They'll need a 55 gal, eventually. They like to out grow their tanks so thats a whole nother can of beans I wont go into :P

Thanks for the information, I will turn off the air pump and pull it out right now, I am going to go to walmart tomorrow and get the salt and stress coat. I will find something else to do with Sunny, the goldfish, whether another tank or giving him to someone, probably my niece. I will also remove the water now too to make it easier for him. I'll do something about the rock too, I was thinking about getting the black gravels. Will let you know how he is doing tomorrow. Thanks again!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #7 
aurasoulful

We hope he perks up soon :)
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #8 
lvandert

Not a problem. You can leave the bottom part of the filter and even the tube if you want, just pull the air hose. It's easier and at the moment less stress. I did the same thing for my little girl. She was VERY stressed when I got her. The half water helped her out a lot. Just be sure you change the water out with that strong of chemicals in it. Keep in mind the doses will be larger than what you should put in there normally so its mearly for treatment purposes. If you have any more questions just post them on here I'll try to help and I'm sure other people will pop their suggestions in too.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #9 
CasperandSunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurasoulful View Post
He's looking very distressed indeed. Good that you took the goldie out. Ammonia may have built up fast in that tank. It needs a 100% water change at least once a week for only one betta. What's your tank's temperature? Please change the water to very simular to like temp for now. He definitely needs it. Goldies require at least 20 per fish because their bio-loads are epic. Betta fish and goldies cannot be kept together. I'm sorry.

And what Ivan said.. The rocks.. Too reflective. Try getting a dark substrate. It's much less stress inducing and will make his colors stand out more. + A billion to Ivan again. The filter may be too much and the airstone isn't necessary.
The temp is 74. I think it is a tad low, not sure, but I dont know if a heater will fit in there. My mom has some bettas (crowntail and deltatail) in a betta tank with a divider, small one. And she doesn't have a heater though, and her fish are doing fantastic, so I thought Casper would be ok. What do you think about the temp in his tank?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #10 
lvandert

The temp isn't ideal but it'll work. Generally there isn't a heater that fits but there is a "betta bowl heater" at petco and petsmart. Last time I checked they were like 10 bucks...it's supposed to raise the temp of the bowl 5-10 degrees above ambient room temp. but I don't know if I trust it. I have one but haven't tested that. The caution with that would be that it does heat 10 degrees and then your tank is a bit high. But like I said, the temp isn't ideal but it'll work.

Tags
ick, shock, sick, stress