Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #11 
lvandert

Some people will also say that you can't keep them in a gallon bowl but as long as you keep up on the water changes you'll be ok. It's all about the water lol I'm also nursing two boys back to health from fungal infections.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #12 
aurasoulful

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperandSunny View Post
The temp is 74. I think it is a tad low, not sure, but I dont know if a heater will fit in there. My mom has some bettas (crowntail and deltatail) in a betta tank with a divider, small one. And she doesn't have a heater though, and her fish are doing fantastic, so I thought Casper would be ok. What do you think about the temp in his tank?
The temp is a bit low. By seeing the video, it's slowed him down a bit. I'd have it at least 76-82 at the most. I highly recommend an undergravel filter like hydor's 7 watt heater. http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-A...3158921&sr=8-1 it should bring your tank up to at least 78, which will get him going. They should have a rounder looking heater like this one http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-BettaT...3159222&sr=8-1 if you can't find this particular one. Black gravel sounds prefect to use. Less scary or distracting :)

Last edited by aurasoulful; 03-30-2012 at 09:01 PM.
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #13 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurasoulful View Post
The temp is a bit low. By seeing the video, it's slowed him down a bit. I'd have it at least 76-82 at the most. I highly recommend an undergravel filter like hydor's 7 watt heater. http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-A...3158921&sr=8-1 it should bring your tank up to at least 78, which will get him going. They should have a rounder looking heater like this one http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-BettaT...3159222&sr=8-1 if you can't find this particular one. Black gravel sounds prefect to use. Less scary or distracting :)
Yeah those are what I was talking about. I have one I'm just to chicken to experiment with it :P My house is generally pretty warm as is (normally around 76-78)
Old 03-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #14 
aurasoulful

Oh, well if your house it warm, maybe get a 5 gallon tank for him (or kritter keeper) and get a 50 watt submersible heater like from fluval or elite. Easier to heat and won't risk being too hot. Thanks for the pointer Ivan. I guess my house is cooler. My 2.5 gallon has a hydor heater and it's 78 degrees
Old 03-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #15 
CasperandSunny

Update

Okay, as soon as I got off here, I went to remove some water and unplug the pump. As soon as I looked in the tank I flipped out, I didnt see him in the tank. He somehow managed to bury himself under the rocks. I thought he was dead. He is still alive. I just decided to remove everything and put him back in the large mason jar. I have to work tomorrow so I am just going to take him with me and I will be able to add the salt and stress coat right away in the morning. I know transferring him in this state isn't too wise, but I can take him with me tomorrow and that will save me from wondering all day long if my poor guy made it through 8 hours in his condition. I put three bloodworms with him too, to see if he will eat them or not. Nothing yet. Also, I know what you guys are talking about with the little round heater pad. I think I saw it at Petco like you said, I will do some research on that later and go from there. Thanks guys. Will let you know more tomorrow.
CasperandSunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #16 
ao
TFK Moderator

I would recommend you keep him at home. moving him around will stress him and possibly kill him in his frail state.... just my opinion.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #17 
aurasoulful

Please keep us posted
Old 03-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #18 
CasperandSunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
I would recommend you keep him at home. moving him around will stress him and possibly kill him in his frail state.... just my opinion.
Okay, I will leave him home if it is best then. Thanks.
CasperandSunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #19 
ao
TFK Moderator

:) yay! I know it will put you more at ease, being able to see your fish at all times, but if it ends up bring bad for him, its going to make you sad:( thanks for taking my advice!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #20 
lvandert

Yeah I thought that might happen. I've had diggers before, thats why I tend to shy away from anything they can "dig" under. You can mix some of those glass rocks in with the gravel though. They do add a nice contrast, just make sure any little hole is covered with gravel.

It is best to keep him at home. But now that you have him in a jar give your tank a good once over. Just use some hot water and gently scrub the sides (dont want to scratch the plastic). There might have been something in there causing distress as well. Give everything a once over with hot water. It wont hurt.

Tags
ick, shock, sick, stress