Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #1 
hmongmoua

Exclamation King betta

Hey,
I bought my male king betta from petco a month ago and I had figured, I should breed him. I haven't been able to do much with him because he is always running (swimming) away from me. what should I do?
hmongmoua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Breeding is the last thing you should do with him. He doesnt need to breed at all.

Breeding is time consuming, difficult, and dangerous for both fish.

Youve only had him a few months? You shouldnt breed unless you have been researching and keeping bettas for at least a year.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #3 
hmongmoua

I've had bettas for a while and i haven't really breed any of them due to lack of money.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #4 
Junglist

I've breed a few King's and is currently raising King Fry's. When it comes to King's sometimes they can be very very picky and be very aggressive towards the female that's how they are and it's not a good sight to see,#1 RULE is never breed unless they are both KING's (keep that in might) you have to have a bit of a strong heart if you want to breed them. It takes patients to find a pair, I normally put the pair side by side for a couple weeks and start to condition them a week before I start to introduce them in there breeding tank. When the male is done with his nest wait 2-3 days till female has her spawning stripes then let her out slowly so she doesn't lose her spawning stripes. At this stage is where the aggressiveness kicks in showing the a lot of chasing. But they will embrace once they are both tired and the male lures her to the nest... Many Luck to you buddy if you decide to breed
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #5 
Junglist

Yeah it is very important to do research and have all your equipment ready and handy cause something will catch yours eyes and if you don't have it, the whole operation is a down fall. Fry food is the most important, have it ready in advance cause after the first week it's in your hand in keeping them alive. Water change are important too after the first week you can and quarter gal. everyday once it fills from then on, out with half and fill with new with conditioned aged water and make sure it's the same temp as your fry's tank water
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #6 
hmongmoua

Thank you so much! :) I'll keep all of that in mind, I haven't gone to get the female yet cause i'm still researching on what female would be best.

I also just bought a half moon double tail plakat today, any suggestions?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #7 
inareverie85

It would seem, due to the questions you're asking, that you're not knowledgeable enough about bettas to be able to breed them responsibly.

And I say that without trying to be mean. I, too, would like to take up breeding eventually, but I am certainly not going to for a long time. Perhaps another year or two. I want to keep the boys I have happy and healthy for at least a year while addressing these following questions:

Do I have the time to devote to daily water changes and multiple feedings in both a growout tank and dozens of jarred betta youngsters?

Do I have the disposable income to humanely house a brood of perhaps 100 bettas and keep them in clean, warm water? Can I buy and grow food cultures and sufficient tank and lighting setups?

Do I have access to parents of good breeding stock in order to avoid breeding bad genes into the betta?

What is my aim in breeding? Am I going to just be another backyard breeder, putting random fish together for random results, or am I going to make a plan to, in some way, better or showcase the species the best that I can?

Do I have the general knowledge of bettas that I'd be need to keep the fish all healthy and to spot small problems BEFORE they become big problems?

Do I have the require knowledge of breeding bettas, in terms of proper technique and adapting to the different needs and temperaments of the individual parents?

Am I prepared to cull?

I'm sure experienced breeders can add even MORE considerations to these. But I honestly cannot answer any of these in the positive at the moment, so I am very much aware that I am not ready to breed bettas yet. One of the biggest mistakes in fish-keeping is impatience. I suggest you be patient and do the research before rushing into it.

Last edited by inareverie85; 03-31-2012 at 10:54 PM.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:05 PM   #8 
hmongmoua

Do I have the time to devote to daily water changes and multiple feedings in both a growout tank and dozens of jarred betta youngsters? ~~~Yes

Do I have the disposable income to humanely house a brood of perhaps 100 bettas and keep them in clean, warm water? Can I buy and grow food cultures and sufficient tank and lighting setups? ~~~Yes

Do I have access to parents of good breeding stock in order to avoid breeding bad genes into the betta? ~~~Yes

What is my aim in breeding? Am I going to just be another backyard breeder, putting random fish together for random results, or am I going to make a plan to, in some way, better or showcase the species the best that I can? ~~~To make a better and not over aggresive betta for shows. (mistakes welcomed)

Do I have the general knowledge of bettas that I'd be need to keep the fish all healthy and to spot small problems BEFORE they become big problems? ~~~ Yes

Do I have the require knowledge of breeding bettas, in terms of proper technique and adapting to the different needs and temperaments of the individual parents? ~~~ Partaily, thats why i made this post XD

Am I prepared to cull? ~~~What is cull?
Old 04-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #9 
RayneForhest

I'm not confident you're aware of what you said 'yes' to in your answers... if you dont even know what 'culling' is. I'm not trying to be mean... but I have to agree with the others.
RayneForhest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #10 
hmongmoua

Okay Well, I'll do what i can.

Tags
king betta