Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2012, 03:19 AM   #1 
Rapture

Snail/Shrimp/ADF/Something else?

Hello,

Just looking for a bit of advice.

I have a 5g tank will 1 male betta in, it's heated, filtered, has live plants, sandy substrate and a cave. I was thinking about getting a tank mate for him (my boyfriend actually as a birthday present) and wanted to check a few things.

I know I couldn't have much, and the usual things would be shrimp or a snail. When we went to pick up my betta he was in a tank with an ADF and my boyfriend kinda fell in love with the frog. I know you can keep them together, but is my tank set up suitable or too small?

Is there anything else I could go for?

Thanks
Rapture
Rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #2 
freemike

Your tank could house 1 Betta and 1 frog comfortably. You could do two frogs but it would be pushing it and would have to stay on top of the water changes/testing religiously. The reason I bring up two is ADFs do best in pairs or more. Also be prepared to hand feed them with your hand or tweezers. They'll probably be scared at first so go slow with it, but after a few feedings they get used to your hand or the tweezers. The reason for the hand feeding is that the frogs tend to be slow at getting to their food. Your Betta will probably eat their food before they can even get to it. Also when you first put them together look for aggression from either side. It has been known for the frogs to go after the fins of the Betta and the Betta will sometimes pick on the frogs.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:04 AM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'd try an ADF. but you must be willing to go out and buy him a 3 gallon minimum home with heater of his own if it doesn't work out (or his own 5 gallon then be could have a friend too). :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #4 
Rapture

Ah ok, that doesn't sound too bad.

I actually have a larger community tank (my first tank) up and running, stocked with Tetra and Kuhli Loaches, so I was thinking as a last resort he could live in that tank instead.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

That would work. Again you'd probably have to hand feed. You can put something flat like a little plate and slowly train the frog that that's where he gets food.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #6 
Gizmothefreaky

Please read the link in my signature.

One frog and one betta in a five gallon is already pushing your bio-load, as frogs really appreciate five gallons to themselves. To add a second frog i would suggest upping the tank size to at LEAST ten gallons.

:) Good luck!
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #7 
enixrayne

I have a serial killer betta. Shrimp, and other fish are always on his menu. I bought a 20 gal long and put him in with 6 Neons and 8 ghost shrimp. He killed the ghosts over night and was harassing the neons, so it was back to his 5 gal. He does seem happier in the smaller tank.
enixrayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #8 
Rapture

Thanks for all the replies :)

We went to our LFS today and picked up an ADF, which is now affectionately known as Donkey Kong (his choice). After floating the bag in the tank to match the temp, Valley (my betta) got a little agitated and started trying to bite the bag. He didn't seem to be taking much notice of the frog as he was the other end, far more interested in the bag.

After putting DK in the tank, Valley was curious but took one look and swam away. We've been watching them all day and so far no signs of aggression from either, obviously it's early days but we're really pleased so far!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #9 
Gizmothefreaky

Just be sure to keep up with your water changes, and it would be a good idea to train your betta to eat out of one corner while you fed the frog on the other.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote