Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #1 
Sivan

Betta revelations and misconceptions

I thought with the amount of all the sad betta threads in this forum that have been popular these past few days, we could use a happy light-hearted one!

So let's talk about our own personal betta revelations and misconceptions. What are some of your best betta revelations/discoveries that you have made either in the care of your fish, in products, behaviors, or anything else?

Also, what are some of your personal misonceptions about bettas that you have overcome? We've all heard myths and tackled them but there are still funny things that people mistake about bettas only to realise later how untrue their original beliefs were!

One of my best revelations/discoveries was this online betta PDF book that told the story of a man who went to the extremes of learning about and taking care of his new betta friend, Fishy-wishy. The ideas he came up with were funny and inspired me to teach my betta, Fabio, to jump for his food. I really enjoyed doing so while he was alive.

Also, I love having discovered Prime thanks to OldFishLady here on the forums. Never again will I have to worry about how to condition the nasty, fish-killing, water from my upstate NY area. It helped me save Fabio's life!

My misconceptions have been many. I think one that keeps following me today is whenever I see VT posted here on the forums I keep thinking that it means the betta is from Vermont, even though I looked it up and now know it means veil-tail. Also, I used to think there was only one breed of betta and only discovered other breeds through my PetSmart, which is where I met Fabio who was a crowntail.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I never knew my conditioner before did not neutralize metals :O My new one does.

When I was younger I had a "Chinese Fighting Fish" later I found out it was not Chinese, or Japanese, but from Thailand as a Siamese Fighting Fish x)

I never knew of different kinds of bettas - via veil-tail, double tail, crowntail, etc, until a few years ago.

When I had my first betta I was told he was fine in a bowl. I cleaned his bowl every 3 days because if I had listened and left it for a week it would be smelly :/ I also found out Mister hated being in a cup while I cleaned, and he'd make the great escape

I was told females are colorless. I found out, yes, and no. Some are some are not :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #3 
Sivan

Wow. I never heard of females being colorless! That's a cool factoid with multiple truths.

Fabio preferred to live in a large plastic bowl. Thing that is be about 3 gallons because I had special water water kept in a gallon jug and it was not even enough to make it half-full. He seemed to like the horizontal space more than his 2.5 gallon tank that had more vertical space.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

haha Dally prefers a pathetic small space. He is more active, colorful, etc. He was in a 1 gallon bowl, now in a 1.7 gallon tank and he sulks. GRRRR >:( So, I found out a while back... bettas have personalities.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #5 
Sivan

Haha. Yeah, it was strange to learn that fish has personalities. I learned that some did when I was little but for some reason I did not think this applied to all fish, just my juli cory catfish named Freckles. Haha.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

awww! haha. Another discovery: windows are okay for fish tanks, though they can be drafty and be too warm at times. The problem with windows... the blinds! I no longer have a 29 long... But, for 50.00, I have a 40 gallon =D and for free a 20 long =D And now on the hunt for females... to fill that 40! xD
Old 04-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #7 
Sheldon31

I have learned so much thanks to people here and other information available. I've learned more about water chemistry and conditions, the importance of cycling and not over feeding. Learned about black water and IAL. I've also learned, the hard way sometimes, about diseases.

Specifically about Bettas I didn't know their species was so diverse. Almost like people. I am amazed about fish having personalities. Likes and dislikes. I didn't know fish could be so relaxing and entertaining and as entertaining and as wonderful as my little guys are, who I adore by the way, fighters are so much more entertaining. I love it when he does a little dance for me when I come to the tank. I'm not so disalusioned into thinking it's because he loves me but because he loves it when I feed him but it's still lovely :)

I've also learned how caring fish keepers are. I love how to you and I, fish are not "just a fish" and that the $1 tetra can mean as much as the $1000 puppy.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Very nicely put ^^ It's true, it is not "just a fish" it's an animal therefore people need to take responsibility :3

Oh, I discovered many people think since China and Thailand are close, Koi/goldfish can be with bettas. really, Thailand is on the equator, and China is not. ;)
Old 04-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #9 
Sivan

Aw, Sheldon, that was beautiful. I see you live in Great Britain. How are bettas treated in pet stores in your area? When I was in England I saw a store called Pets at Home, which may or may not have been a chain. Didn't see one anywhere else. I was please to see the bettas they had were in proper tanks, divided, and some even had living companions! I do feel bad for one guy I saw because he was being bullied by neon tetras who kept nipping at his tail while he wasn't looking. Poor guy.

Anywho, what is black water? I never heard of that.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Black water extract....not sure xD I use IALs that's all I know.