Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #1 
Nish

Betta tank mates in a ten gallon?

I have a beautiful male double tail half moon betta. I want to upgrade him to a 10 gallon tank with some tank mates. I was looking for common tank mates that I could buy at petco or petsmart. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Nish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #2 
AmandanFlynn

You could get 5 harlequin rasbora's. They are schooling fish and fun to watch when they eat (dart really fast to top, snatch food, and back down) Not too colorful (IE: not too tempting for the betta) and are fast, so betta will have a hard time trying to catch one in a 10 gallon.

Here is a picture of them:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...w=1600&bih=775
AmandanFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #3 
TheJadeBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nish View Post
I have a beautiful male double tail half moon betta. I want to upgrade him to a 10 gallon tank with some tank mates. I was looking for common tank mates that I could buy at petco or petsmart. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Depends on what you want. Do you want Fish, Shrimp, or Snails? I would get some mystery or nerite snails. They are very interesting. For Fish, I recommend Dwarf Cories. They are so cute!
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Pygmy cories are a good choice. They need groups of +6, you could keep 7-8. They absolutely need a sand bottom.
Bronze/albino cories are larger and could do well on smooth gravel, but all cories prefer sand bottoms.
Another bottom dwelling sand lover are kuhli loaches, they like soft water. You could do about 6 in your 10 gallon.
I like bottom dwellers since they even out the tank, and aren't as annoying to a betta. :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I second the bottom-dwelling suggestion. If you want mid-swimmers, however, my top picks would be:
- ember tetras (soft water). They are really pretty, especially in a planted tank. They aren't so bright as to infuritate a betta and are very peaceful. They won't nip and swim slowly so they won't stress a betta out with fast movements (although they will high-tail it out of the way if chased).
- Endlers Livebearers (hard water). Also incredibly pretty - a good alternative to guppies. I'd suggest 4 males. They are very small, so not likely to irritate bettas, and the males aren't nippy. :) They also won't overcrowd him as they only need groups of 3, unlike schooling fish which prefer groups of 6+.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote