Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #21 
pittipuppylove

No problem!
And no worries, no way I could feed live either!
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #22 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post
I agree with feeding f/t, and it's generally safer than feeding live. I'm not saying it's impossible to be safe while feeding live, just more difficult.
As wierd as it sounds, it can be easiest to get a snake to take f/t in steps. Try going from having a live rat there to get the snake interested in feeding, but take the live away before the snake strikes and replace it with a fresh kill (you may have to wiggle it around to aid in tricking the snake into thinking its live. After this works for a few weeks, don't introduce a live rat and just start with the fresh kill. Again, after a few weeks of being successful with this, do what you did with the live and fresh kill, but use fresh kill and f/t. A f/t rat also needs to be thoroughly thawed all the way through and as close to a live body temp as is possible. Be persistent, durring transitionary periods, if the snake doesn't eat, wait untill your next scheduled feeding and try the same thing again - it will not hurt a healthy, sub-adult and older snake to go a week (or more, within reason) without food. In my experience, they will eat if hungry enough under the right circumstances.
Posted via Mobile Device
How long to accomplish this?
We fed live once after a month long fast (I was worried), and now mine won't go back. I wanna try this, but I'd have nothing to do with a live rat after baiting the snake. xD
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #23 
betta lover1507

thanks, am going to tell my brother an dad, they want to do a little snake business -_- so i had to give up betta breeding
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #24 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
We fed live once after a month long fast (I was worried), and now mine won't go back. I wanna try this, but I'd have nothing to do with a live rat after baiting the snake. xD

Well, you have to step down the ladder a few weeks at a time it seems, so I would imagine a few months.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #25 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
To be totally honest, I don't know an exact figure. I've never actually had to use this method (all of my kids have thankfully been fairly easy eaters), but I know a bunch of herp keepers who have and still do. It can vary from snake to snake since they're all individuals, but from what I understand, wait untill the snake is very comfortable with the step you're on before moving on to the next.

As for what to do with the live rat, I can think of two ideas off the top of my head:
1) Pretty brutal and I'm sure I couldn't do it myself, but I'm pretty sure you could take the live rat, instigate the feeding response, then quickly remove the rat and humanely kill it either via CO2 chamber if you're fancy, by disconnecting the spinal column, or by providing a swift blow to the head. CO2 is safe because it leaves no harmful chemicals in the body - lethal injections/overdoses/ect. will pass on the toxins to the snake and are therefore EXTREMELY dangerous.
2) See if wherever you get the live rat from will either loan you out a feeder rat or let you buy it and then return it for a refund later.

I should also mention that there are tons of other methods to get picky eaters to eat. Some snakes take f/t once it's been dipped in chicken broth, others can be triggered into a feeding response by "braining" it (opening the skull to expose the brain), the list goes on and on. A great resource is reptileforums.com - it's a lot like this site in that there's a ton of extremely helpful, experienced keepers who are more than happy to answer questions.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #26 
bettafish15

*Sigh* I wish my breeder could hurry up and get eggs :( Other breeders in the US are starting to. I've already been waiting so long... My supplies will even be here tuesday :D I still have to take the overflow box off the tank since the previous owner was a DIY-er. Haha! And seal up the holes from other plumbing he did. Anyone got more pics to distract me? Pics of their setups? I need ideas! xD
Old 04-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #27 
pittipuppylove

Ain't the waiting game awesome? Atleast it'll give you time to make sure you're absolutely, positively, without a shadow of a doubt ready :P And seal up those holes REALLY well - or your little guy or gal will decide to pull a jail break and go exploring!

Hm... Here's a pic of my boa's cage right after my dad built it. It's 6'Lx4'Hx2'D and has two doors with three latches each. Since then we've added more for her to climb on, added some more hides, added another heat element at the top to give us more flexability with the lighting (ie 2 ceramic heat emitters/1 day bulb; 1 CHE, 1 red/night light, 1 day light; ect), drilled a small hole in the floor to run the cord of a large heat mat attatched to a ceramic tile through, replaced the screens on the left door with glass to help keep in heat and humidity, and replaced the water bowl with a smaller, deeper one that she seems to like better.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #28 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I love how part of the boa constrictor's scientific name is just "boa constrictor" xD
I would love a hogg island boa one day. They are so adorable.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #29 
finnfinnfriend

Are cornsnakes really that small?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #30 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Are cornsnakes really that small?
Meh, they can get big too. I think they average at 4feet. :)